Lash eggs

Okay I had to look up "lash egg". Ewwwww....

From my 3 minutes of reading it appears there may be TWO types of lash eggs, or weird layed deformed objects that look like lash eggs.

1) The first is a solid chunk if hardened puss, which means the chicken has been sick for quite a while and they usually do pass on eventually (per the chicken chick).

2) The other type started out as an actual egg (not just puss) and the chicken stopped forming the egg because the body was fighting off an illness. I guess this second form can mean a chicken is in fact recovering from an illness.

This article says cut it open, if it looks like a cooked disgusting egg inside them their is hope as it is not just a big puss ball according to the email from a vet on that page.

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/the-lash-egg-or-what-the-hell-just-came-out-of-my-chicken/

Last edited:

This is a picture. It was pretty soft. I did not cut it open. Not sure which of my 9 chickens laid it.

That's a different color than the lash eggs that my hens have laid. Doesn't look like the shape they were either, but that's not saying much since they can be a variety of shapes. The hens that I had that laid lash eggs did eventually die from EYP (suspected, not confirmed) but you can have many many months until they die from it. It usually is a sign that things are bungled up in there, but I'm not sure if its a definite.

The bright side... Hey, Its good it came out!

The one you have there seems more like a misshapen egg- with the shell. (I've had a few of those too) . You said it was soft though, so I guess not. Its too bad you didn't get a chance to cut it open, not that its a pleasant experience or anything
sickbyc.gif
, but it would help you know what you are dealing with like Sonya9 said.

Please keep us informed here about your hen or if any more lash eggs or whatever it is occur. I hope for you and your hen its just a fluke and all will be well.

Last edited:
The next day in the same nesting box there was an egg that did not have much of a shell. I'm not sure if it was the same hen. None of my chickens look or act sick right now. Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom