Strange behavior from our Spitzhauben, swollen face and mouth and small grey bugs - lice or mites?

TheLittleGarden

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Our poor Appenzeller Spitzhauben is having a rough morning. I have not noticed any strange activity from her lately and work from home with the girls in view, but looked out the window this morning to our bantam cochin attacking her - which is very unusual because they are usually 2 peas in a pod. She seemed unable to stand up and was on her back then rolled over and seemed to be crawling away. I ran out and brought her in. She immediately stood up as though all was well and happily sat down on my lap for bit. I checked her over and her legs, chest, wings all seem ok, but there seems to be very slight swelling around the back of her beak and cheeks. And then, on closer inspection, she has groupings of small, thin, grayish bugs squirming over her. I inspected several of our other girls who she spend the most time with and can't find them on anyone else. Apple is now back outside running around and eating like nothing ever happened.

All her behavior was a bit weird, but I'm mostly concerned about the bugs. We have never had a bug problem before. The girls free range, have a ton of dirt bath spots and the coop is cleaned out every week. I am leaning towards lice, but they just don't seem to really fit any bug category I can find.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Bugs are seen on center spots in the picture.

Grab some Sevin dust and dust ALL the chickens liberally around the vent area and under each wing. Be sure and ruffle their feathers, so the dust gets all the way to the skin. Repeat in seven days and again in seven days, for a total of three treatments over three weeks. When you dust the chickens, also clean out the bedding and dust everything in the coop to kill any remaining lice/mites or nits that may be hiding in nooks and crannies. I'd also throw some dust down in their favorite bathing spots, so they get a does there, too.

As for the swelling, she could have gotten pecked there, since you saw it happening.

I hope that's all it is!

MrsB

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Mrs B! I am grabbing some sevin dust today. Wondering if anyone can clearly identify those bugs those, though?

Thanks for the reply Mrs B! I am grabbing some sevin dust today. Wondering if anyone can clearly identify those bugs those, though?

Unless I can see a better picture of one, I would *assume* they are lice. Sevin will work for both. :)

You can also use Frontline spray, from what I understand, but I am less familiar with that method.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom