Solutions for freezing water?

Chicken999

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 27, 2015
What are some ways to keep water from freezing? I live in Connecticut and the past winter has been very cold. Although I can use a heater as a last resort, I would like to know if there is any way to keep water from freezing WITHOUT a heater. ???

What are some ways to keep water from freezing? I live in Connecticut and the past winter has been very cold. Although I can use a heater as a last resort, I would like to know if there is any way to keep water from freezing WITHOUT a heater. ???

Idk. I live in MI and it's been super cold here too. If I didn't have heated waterers, I'd have lost my mind and probably my fingers by now. It's best to have either a cookie tin heater under your normal waterer or store bought heated ones. Just having a heater in the coop will create problems for the chickens and may not be enough to keep the water from freezing. Water is so critical for chickens to stay healthy that I don't want to risk their water freezing ever! Thank God we haven't had a power outage this winter! Maybe someone from Alaska has some nifty trick?

P.S. Do you let your chickens out during winter? Even though my chickens always have water, they love eating snow!

Last edited:
Welcome! I have heated bases for my waterers; they work the best. If you are home, taking water out early every morning and every afternoon will work. They need free choice water all the time, and drink both early and late in the day. I work and can't make that schedule, so heated waterers are best here. Mary

I think I will just use a heater for the water. Maybe I can find a battery powered heater so the heater won't stop working in a powere outage. Thanks to everyone.

I know you didn't ask for heated water but just yesterday I ordered a heated poultry waterer from Amazon. It holds 3 gallons which is enough to give most any smaller sized flock enough water of a morning till you can get out there and give them more. I don't have electricity at my pen but I plan of stretching a couple of cords down there next winter. However up your way I know it gets much colder than here. It did say it keeps from freezing down to 0°.

I use the black rubber tubs I got at Tractor Supply for water in winter. If the water freezes you just bash it out or stomp it out and refill. The rubber bowls don’t break. Since it is black, if you set it in the sun it will keep water thawed surprisingly well. In bright sun I’ve had them stay thawed down to about 20. Even if it eventually freezes it extends the time the water stays thawed.

The sun does not shine at night and not always during the day either. I still have to carry water regularly and knock out the ice. It may be something to make it just a little easier for people that don’t have power or don’t want to use an electric heater.

I also live in CT and have NO idea how you made it this long without a heater. I have stretched a cord out to the run and use the standard base heater (http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-Poultry-HP-125-125-Watt/dp/B000HHQDPM).

Note that I have abused this thing all year and have it literally sit outside. I didnt want to place it in the coop due to increased humidity and the nasty cold weather we have had. It was a great investment and when it breaks (again, its unprotected outside) - I will happily buy another

Back
Top Bottom