Never Thought Chickens Could Change My Life

rachelisneat

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 23, 2015
St Louis, MO
Last week, our family joined the community of urban chicken keepers.! This comes after about a year of promising our eight-year-old that we could have chicken "maybe one day", and some heartfelt discussions amongst the adults of the family. We were also assured by our friends with more experience that chicken keeping is straightforward, if not easy, not too time-consuming, and rewarding. And who doesn't love fresh eggs?

I had started doing my research on BYC, and random word-of-mouth, got good coop plan ideas, and said "What are we waiting for?" So we drove out to the farm store, planning on bringing home a mix of what they had to offer. Here's our flock: Buff Brahmas, Wyandotte, Plymouth Rock, Red Hybrid, and mystery Black chick. (Anyone who is interested, can help me identify her on the breed forum: "Sold as a Plymouth Rock"!)

But this is the amazing part: we picked out our flock, drove them home in the car, and it was like Christmas! I haven't felt so much like a kid for, well, since I was a kid! The kids love 'em, my husband finds them interesting, we all tell anyone who will listen for a minute more than they ever wanted to know about our tiny flock of chickens. But I am obsessed. It's like having a new baby in the family, only there's a whole group of them! And they don't wake you up all night…

Best thing ever!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

Sounds like you have a nice flock already! You should get a wonderful variety of eggs when they begin laying.
smile.png

Good luck with your birds!

Goodness! We were (are) the same way. 3 weeks in, my poor friends, I don't know how they put up with me. My daughters are as crazy as I am posting pictures and talking about them day and night. My husband was very standoffish at first, now he goes to our basement in the morning and talks to them too! We have regally lost our minds.. I was giddy all the way home from the hatchery, giggling like a child.

Yay! Chickens are so much fun!

It's great to let the "inner child," out - it's never too late to have fun. Glad you are so happy with your new flock. It's great to have the family involved. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Good luck with your chicks! It sounds like you have a lovely variety of breeds.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us. And so glad you decided to join the fun of raising your own chickens. The fun keeps coming. I know you will be glad you made the plunge.

Back
Top Bottom