Newly hatched chick questions

Ohkay

Hatching
Mar 5, 2015
We just hatched our first 2 babies yesterday. One is fine. The other seems to be getting stronger. I think his membrane dried out some after trying to hatch for over 24 hours and he got stuck. I moistened the membrane and then came out the rest of the way. Understandably so, he has a crooked neck and wobbly legs. He can walk and is gaining his balance but not as quickly as the other one did. We got some poultry nutri drench from Tractor Supply to add to their water in hopes of helping them along with the supplements, but we've read, and have not tried, about some recipe with pedialyte and vitamins to help straighten the neck out? Any suggestions?
He also has something red attached (or protruding?) from his anal area. Is this from the birthing process and will naturally fall off or will it block him from "pooping" and is something we should intervene with and/or be concerned about?

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Make sure there is plenty of soft bedding and a warm place to lay. The red thing is basically the umbilical cord, it should fall off within the week. Best of luck!

Thank you for your quick response and advice. They have pine shavings and a brooder lamp. Do you think her neck will straighten out naturally?

OK. Will do. Thanks. It's sleeping more than the other one, but it hatched 6 hours later and with a more stressful process.

I had a chick in my last hatch who had the same thing happen. She was glued to the incubator and when I finally got her out of the shell, she stood with her neck extended down like she ncouldn't lift her head. The next day she was better, but appeared to be nodding off more than the others. By the time I sold them 7 days later, I couldn't pick out the little "giraffe"! She got stronger every day and was a happy bouncy chick! Hang in there. Oh, I also gave "chick saver" in their water from TSC.

IMO, nutri-drench is a wonderful product. You can give a drop directly to the ailing chick, after she is up and taking water on her own. Just hold the drop to the side of her beak, and she'll suck it in. If you do put it in the water supply, change that water daily.

Back
Top Bottom