Some swan questions

Gwendolyn M

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2015
Can someone give me some information on raising swans? I'm really curious about them. What do they eat? What kind of set up do you need for them? How long do they live in captivity? Are they good pets?

You may not get many replies because don't think that many people hand raise swans. I've been searching since I hatched a black cygnet a month ago. Right now it's in a 4 by 6 foot brooder on wire on our closed-in-back-porch with a mirror to see it's own image which I think helps it from becoming lonesome. I'm feeding it Mazuri Waterfowl Starter,and chopped Romaine lettuce which I put in it's water dish. At least every other day it gets to swim in our bathtub where it enjoys diving and washing itself. It's imprinted on me obviously with all the attention it gets and doesn't mind being picked up. Where to go from here I don't have a clue but as soon as weather warms up I need to get it outside..............................OR purchase diapers, LOL!!!! I have peafowl so can manage a fair size aviary for it to stay in by itself BUT am concerned about fire ants getting to it. HELP!! I need suggestions and seasoned swan raisers to chime in. I've read the Australian Black Swans can be good pets. I guess in time I'll know but hoping to hatch another and be fortunate enough to get opposite sex. My problem is I don't have a pond or lake so it/they would have to settle for a large trough. Not sure that's fair to the swan/swans. I'd love to communicate with others that have successfully managed under the same circumstances.

Dive in Gwendolyn and we'll figure it all out together, LOL!!! Where do you live? I'm north of San Antonio, TX in the Hill Country.

They do not make great pets but do make awesome yard alarms birds. They are very single owner birds. They need to graise and bath daily.they are prone to getting abseses on there pads. They will live with other fowl but want to be in charge. i know of one that is a minimum of 10yrs old and if story holds true she is actually 19. They do need another bird to bond with, the one i know has a female goose friend of the same age, at least 9 years possibly more. They are cooped at night with chickens and ducks but it had taken a long time for everyone to learn to live together peacefully. The swan and goose are constantly chasing the ducks and chickens from the layena and duck pellets and seem to be doing just fine as long as they can graze. They also enjot the same table scraps that the other birds get. Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to ask.

They do not make great pets but do make awesome yard alarms birds. They are very single owner birds. They need to graise and bath daily.they are prone to getting abseses on there pads. They will live with other fowl but want to be in charge. i know of one that is a minimum of 10yrs old and if story holds true she is actually 19. They do need another bird to bond with, the one i know has a female goose friend of the same age, at least 9 years possibly more. They are cooped at night with chickens and ducks but it had taken a long time for everyone to learn to live together peacefully. The swan and goose are constantly chasing the ducks and chickens from the layena and duck pellets and seem to be doing just fine as long as they can graze. They also enjot the same table scraps that the other birds get. Hope this helps. Any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you so much for this information. Regarding abseses on their pads, would that be something I could treat? If I keep this swan hopefully I'll be able to handle it. I pick it up now to put it in the tub of water and back to it brooder. In a few days it's going to bedry and in the 70's ..... I intend to spend some time out on the property letting it brouse and hopefully keep it from eating any weeds that could be harmful. Presently I'm putting it's feed in water. Is that necessary? It's much easier if it will eat from a dish. I'm hoping to hatch another swan so it will have a companion of the same species. Would it be bad if they ended up being the same sex? I'd purchase another but of opposite sex but seems foolish when I don't have a large pond or small lake. I will sell this one but only locally so I can check out where it will be residing and make sure the home is safe and it will be well cared for. All I have is peafowl, have no idea how the swan and they will get along. Guess I'm repeating some of what I've already posted. Have to admit I'm a bit frantic. It's 5 weeks old now and needs to go outside.

I LOVE THE PICTURE OF YOU WITH BIRDS AND ANIMALS............................AND RACCOONS???? (-:

We have an adult swan we had another but it died of old age. We feed them cracked corn daily we have a goose that's on the lake with the swan always and between 7 and 12 Canadians that visit constantly. We pretty much let them be wild other than we supplement their food with corn. They are teritorial but ignore the other birds and only time they chase us is around mating season.
On a related topic ... We are beind given a clutch of mute swan eggs and are planning on incubating and hatching them. We've never done it at all. Any pointers and suggestions would be welcome. What kind of incubator we need etc. help!!

I am still sorry i did not get back with you sooner i just noticed this post when i got an email about a second respond.how is your swan doing?

We have an adult swan we had another but it died of old age. We feed them cracked corn daily we have a goose that's on the lake with the swan always and between 7 and 12 Canadians that visit constantly. We pretty much let them be wild other than we supplement their food with corn. They are teritorial but ignore the other birds and only time they chase us is around mating season.
On a related topic ... We are beind given a clutch of mute swan eggs and are planning on incubating and hatching them. We've never done it at all. Any pointers and suggestions would be welcome. What kind of incubator we need etc. help!!

How is the Swan acting with its mate being gone? I also offer duck pellets and a poultry mix or game bird mix with the corn. I would be careful with adding swan chicks with a full grown male swan, he may kill them. I have never incubated swan eggs but i would think a regular chicken incubator would be fine but these eggs are pretty large so hand turning may be your option here.

It would make this odd crying sound but other than that it's ok. We planned on keeping the chicks separate from the adult until they were almost full grown. It used to be around other adult swans but we are going to introduce them slowly.
Just concerned about hatching them. I've read on here that it's difficult and we are so looking forward to having babies we don't want to mess up:(

Quote:
It would make this odd crying sound but other than that it's ok. We planned on keeping the chicks separate from the adult until they were almost full grown. It used to be around other adult swans but we are going to introduce them slowly.
Just concerned about hatching them. I've read on here that it's difficult and we are so looking forward to having babies we don't want to mess up:(
My mother's male black swan adopted 2 goslings, a call duck, and a mallard last year (all still fuzzy when introduced). Of course, he had just lost his mate and was alone on the pond. But boy, you should have seen him protect them. He still lives with the geese and you'd think they were all the same species. I also read all of the hype about goose/swan eggs being difficult to hatch before I started, but really, I didn't find it all that much different than hatching chickens. It's a little wetter, a little longer, and a little more recovery time. If you read all that you can, source good eggs, keep the humidity up, and turn diligently you should do fine.

Quote:
My mother's male black swan adopted 2 goslings, a call duck, and a mallard last year (all still fuzzy when introduced).  Of course, he had just lost his mate and was alone on the pond.  But boy, you should have seen him protect them.  He still lives with the geese and you'd think they were all the same species.  I also read all of the hype about goose/swan eggs being difficult to hatch before I started, but really, I didn't find it all that much different than hatching chickens.  It's a little wetter, a little longer, and a little more recovery time.  If you read all that you can, source good eggs, keep the humidity up,  and turn diligently you should do fine.

Can you give me some tips? Never hatched anything (except my own kiddo but I think that's a bit different) ? Or a good link to look at? Heck even a book to buy? Egg hatching for dummies (if it exists I'll buy it) lol. We have a mother goose on our lake that has adopted all the Canadian geese babies from last year and she's the only reason they survived so I think the swan babies will be fine as long as I can hatch them lol

Back
Top Bottom