moving broilers to tractor in North texas

dcraig

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2015
forestburg tx
Currently the Temps are around 60 during the day and 30 to 40 at night should I wait to move my broiler chicken to their tractor they are 3 weeks old and almost fully feathered. Or can I move them and put heat lamps in tractor with them

I have the exact same question.

This is my first time raising broilers and they are growing insanely fast. They are just at 3 weeks and have their feathers for the most part. They are going to have to be moved soon because they are starting to tower over the other chicks in the brooder room. I have my tractor out in the field all set to go but there is no power anywhere close so no heat lamp.

The temps are right around 60's during the day and 40's at night this time of year. Will this work or do I need to wait?

I moved mine outside with their light at 2 weeks old. I just covered the pen at night with a tarp to keep more warmth in. At the time, our highs were 40s-50s and lows going below freezing. They are doing perfectly fine. Now that our lows have warmed up more, I took the light away but still cover them at night.

Mine are about the same age, guess we all got a March 30 shipment :) This is my first round of broilers and it is amazing how quickly they are growing. We have been giving them strictly a non-gmo feed of 24% protein so this may be helping their size a bit.

I need to move mine outside ASAP as they are outgrowing anything I can put them in. I have a total of 45, so need a decent amount of space.

I am in Virginia, and our low is going to dip to 33 tomorrow night and then low 40s the rest of the week (for the low). I am waiting a few days to put plants outside, so was thinking I should wait on the chickens too lol, thoughts?

I was sort of ran out of space so I moved mine outside this week. They have been managing quite well. The temp has been in the 60's- mid 50's during the day and 40's in the evening.
I do not have a heat lamp in the tractor with them but have given them a good wind block. They sleep all huddle up at night and during the day have been foraging and being chickens. They are hardier than I thought and seem quite happy outside in the tractor.

This is my first year with the meat birds and wow do they grow fast!

I may build a larger brooder coop next year to house just meat birds in the early spring to alleviate the crowding in the eggers brooder. We already have dozens of orders for meat birds next season. I'm surprised how much demand there is for local/humane raised chicken.

I am running out of space too
Mine are only 4 days old but the layer chicks are 2wk old and partially feathered.

It's been 90 during the day and in the 60s at night.

I'm thinking its time to move the older chicks outside.

Back
Top Bottom