'Possum in the hen house!!

marishfish

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Kirkland, Wa
This morning, at 4:30, we heard one of our hens being very loud in our garage. I think "well that's funny, she should be asleep right now...", and pondering that, I let our dog out to go check on her. She bolts to the hen house, and I can hear some commotion inside and I too, race to see what is the matter. As it turns out, there was a giant 'possum that had easily gotten into our hen house. One of our hens managed to escape and is nowhere to be found, but the other we found frightened, shivering in the corner. I cuddled her a while and she seems to be doing alright. But as for the other hen that escaped, we searched our whole property and the forest next to it, but still haven't found her. Keep in mind, it has only been 2 hours since the incident. We are hoping that we find her today... Recently, we have been leaving the door open so that the girls can go out and free range while I'm away, and we have never had any incidents.

Not a great way to start the morning. Hope your missing hen returns home soon. Did the opossum do any damage? How did you get it out?

UPDATE!
Our missing hen came back! I was looking out the kitchen window when i see her come strolling out of the garage like nothing had happened! Haha! All is well with the girls... one of ours has some wing feathers missing, but other than being a little tramatized, they will be alright!

I used to close my coop before bedtime, but I learned to do this as soon as nightfall came for that exact reason. I have found a possum visitor come through into the coop and eat our chickens food. He has never messed with them, he seems more interested in the free chicken food, but it does frighten the girls.

We have contemplated an automatic chicken door so we do not forget to close it late, which happens

Wow! Skip the coffee I bet that woke you up!
gig.gif

UPDATE!
Our missing hen came back! I was looking out the kitchen window when i see her come strolling out of the garage like nothing had happened! Haha! All is well with the girls... one of ours has some wing feathers missing, but other than being a little tramatized, they will be alright!

Glad to hear she came back. Guess she just needed some time away from the flock.

Jeff

I don't know your experience with this game but you will not like what happens when he comes back. when i have issues i bait a box trap right next to the coop with a can of tuna, it's worked in one night every time for over 30 years.

I don't know your experience with this game but you will not like what happens when he comes back. when i have issues i bait a box trap right next to the coop with a can of tuna, it's worked in one night every time for over 30 years.

I will try it! Thanks for the heads up!

Back
Top Bottom