New to Pheasants

Quantum673

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2015
Started getting ready for our new arrivals.
We will be getting say old chicks April 14th. So I started getting the brooder/coop built. It is approximately 8'x8'x9'.
As soon as it is finished I will get started on the flight pen. The pen will be 20'x40'x6'.

Should be able to get the Brooder/Coop finished up by this weekend. Roof frame will go on tonight. Should be able to finish sheeting
the last wall, get the door built and put in, and get the roof finished up Thursday evening or Saturday at the latest.

We will be raising Ringneck and will be releasing the majority. Our plan is to release approximately half around October and then the rest right before breeding season next year. I know from a lot of the reading I have done that we shouldn't expect them to establish a wild population but if a few stuck around the house that would be a bonus.

Enjoy reading everyone's post on the forum and figured I would share our journey.

Thanks from Ohio!

How are you going to heat the brood area?It has to be 95 degrees the 1st week of brooding and then drop 5 degrees each week after.It also has to be draft free but fresh air available to them.
You may want to keep a low down on the releasing,in most states it requires a permit and some state do not allow it.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
I will use two 250w heat lamps to get the temp right for the chicks. I will start about 18" from floor with the lamps. Will adjust the height to get temp needed.

The building will be sided as well to get draft free.

Have all paperwork for necessary permit for my state to raise and release.

Got the roof framed and up. Will stop and pick up the roofing material this afternoon. Should have the Roof finished tonight and hopefully will finish sheeting everything in. That will leave me with cutting the doors and windows in and siding it. The plan is to use rough cut lumber at various widths as siding. Hopefully will be able to get it finished up this weekend if I can get the rough cut lumber picked up.

The windows will be solid so that I can control lighting. Flip them up for fresh air and light when needed keep them closed to keep it dark.

Sounds like you've done your home work before you got started.That's a good thing,that lots of people go out and buy birds,bring them home and remember they don't know much about them and don't have a pen set up for them.Looking good.What are you using for the roof?Metal roofing is good stuff and you hardly ever have to worry about snow building up on it,it just slides right off.How big will your outside run be?Ringnecks need lots of room once they become 8 weeks old as they like to test each other out and tend to kill each other if crowded.
In N.H.,Tony.

I will be using Corrugated Cellulose/Asphalt roof panels.
Similar to the metal panels but quieter in the rain.

I was going to make the outside run 20'x40' but after looking at it last night I think I will have room for 20'x50'. I will know for sure this weekend as I plan to get it all marked out. I figure if I can fit the additional space better to do it now then be sorry later.

My plan for the run is to plant some clover and buckwheat. Buckwheat being in the far end and clover in the middle. I have some plastic 55 gal drums I will cut in half and place in the run for hiding.
I will also add evergreen branches in different places. I plan to add some larger branches for roosting as well. Hoping that I can give them enough different habitat to keep them busy.

I also plan to build a lean to off the side of the brooder/coop that will be in the outside run. This will give them some additional shelter as well.

Sounds like a good plan.Keep us updated on your progress.Is this going to be a year to year buying chicks or are you going to keep some birds and breed them yourself?
In N.H.,Tony.

For now the plan is to buy day olds each year. I may keep a cock and a couple hens in the future and see what I can do. I do not have an incubator currently. I guess we will just see how it goes. You never know where hobbies like this may take you.

Ok need some advice as I move forward. .
Does anyone have a brand of fencing recommended for sides of run. I know I need no larger than 1"x1" fencing but I am having a hard time finding anything locally except poultry fencing which seems to be pretty thin fencing. Not sure it would keep bigger predators like Coyote or Fox out. I have looked at tractor supply, rural king, and lowes.

Would really like to purchase locally so I don't have to fool with shipping but if that is the only way for me to get it then fine.

Back
Top Bottom