Meat birds - best breed next to Cornish Cross?

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
I am looking for other, easier to care for birds that are good for meat birds.

We had 4 Cornish Cross, but lost one today at 3 weeks old. I want to find something that is easy. I have too much other stuff going on to have to watch over them so much. We don't know what happen to the one today. Could have been too hot in the house and brooder, but don't know for sure. We were out most of the day and our house was on the cool side because it was cool out, so I turned the heat on and we left.

Our local TSC seems to be fairly knowledgeable, but when you ask some of them about a particular breed to see how well they would be as a meat bird, they don't know a lot. They have Red Rangers right now and they said it COULD be a meat bird.

I don't want to have to order anything because we are limited on space and I want something that can be ready in like 2 months or so.

If you want in 2 months, then stay with cornish X . All chickens are good for meat.. Just some are excellent like the CRX . Don't know what the circumstances were causing your loss. I DON'T THINK IT WAS THE BREED RESPONSIBLE. They don't start breaking legs till well past the prime cull time.
idunno.gif

To my knowledge the Cornish cross is the only thing done in two months. The red ranger is a meat bird, but it isn't meant to grow out in that short of a time period.

I believe the Red Ranger is a meat bird. It may take a little longer to mature than the Cornish Cross, and may be a little smaller but they will be meatier than a regular egg laying breed. I have heard about 10-12 weeks instead of the 8 weeks for a Cornish Cross.

Rangers and Pioneers (also called Dixie Rainbows) are ready to process around 12 weeks. I raised Pioneers last year, and kept one Pullet instead of processing her. She's been a good layer. I was pleased with the Pioneers as a meat bird.

No I don't think it is the breed, but I am just not sure we will be able to raise them like everyone says they have to be raised. Like only certain food, X amount of protein for X amount of weeks.
hmm.png
I feed all of our bird layer crumble and only buy one certain kind. We can't afford to buy like 2 different foods for different birds, ONLY for my quail will I do this.

We only have 3 Cornish X now and now another one is acting odd, rapid breathing.

Should I just start limiting their food? We only put 1 quart jar of food in each day, it lasts from morning til the next morning. Water is giving twice a day, also in a quart jar.

They are in a 50 gallon tote box, so plenty of room for 3 - 3 week old cornish cross chicks.

Okay, we can do 12 weeks (3 months). I was talking to a guy at TSC today and he was saying that Leg Horns only take 2 months, but I wasn't sure. Our TSC had them on clearance so I thought I might get a few.

They also had those Dixie Rainbows, but again TSC didn't know exactly what kind of bird they are; meat, dual, or layer.

Okay, we can do 12 weeks (3 months). I was talking to a guy at TSC today and he was saying that Leg Horns only take 2 months, but I wasn't sure. Our TSC had them on clearance so I thought I might get a few.

They also had those Dixie Rainbows, but again TSC didn't know exactly what kind of bird they are; meat, dual, or layer.
You can eat anything early. You can eat 3 week old chicks even. LOL But reality is you want a meal that is sufficient is quantity. Leghorns are egg producers but of course you can eat them @ 2 months. They will be small. Lazy gardener suggested the Dixie rainbows. So, in your situation, I would presume they would be more suited to your needs. WISHING YOU BON APETIT.
pop.gif

You can eat anything early. You can eat 3 week old chicks even. LOL But reality is you want a meal that is sufficient is quantity. Leghorns are egg producers but of course you can eat them @ 2 months. They will be small. Lazy gardener suggested the Dixie rainbows. So, in your situation, I would presume they would be more suited to your needs. WISHING YOU BON APETIT.
pop.gif

Thanks. Now just hoping the TSC has some leghorns, rangers or rainbows.

Haha, my son said those Dixie Rainbows sound like some kind of drug. LOL

Back
Top Bottom