is this a rooster / cockerel? A cream leg bar or a barnvelder?

ranchokelly

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
joshua tree, ca
I have two two-month old chicks in an indoor infirmary, because they were half the size of the others after a bout with cochidiasis (or however you spell that horror). The one suddenly started growing a comb and waddles pretty fast, and tends to peck and jump on the other, so I have a bad feeling…. also I'm not sure if its a cream leg bar or a barnvelder, as I bought one of each and one died early on! It also has a larger pronounced tail.
The one on the left is an Americauna, the right one is in question!
Besides hoping for expertise on this, any tips on how to mix them in with the others now that they've been separated for a few weeks would be appreciated!

I'm not sure about barnvelders, but the one on right is definitely not a cream legbar.
Sorry, I'm one of those people who is directionally challenged.

Last edited:
Anybody? Please? The comb and waddles keep growing fast (bigger and redder than a same-age barred rock, even though rock is twice the size), and it's a lot noisier than the rest.
Can you tell at 8 weeks? Or do I have to wait until he starts crowing?

Thanks for any help! Here's another shot…. can't really see the feet though
It's about 9-10 weeks old now, and today I noticed one of my 3 year old hens is taking a special interest in him/her (if only to attack) and started squatting down when I pet her, which I haven't noticed in quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom