Has anyone else had a wild turkey adopt your yard?

callieisspooky

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Carmel Valley, CA
For the last three weeks, three wild turkeys have been freeranging with our two domestic turkeys. There were a few flying feathers at first, but now they all seem to get along well. The wilds show no signs of leaving. Do I have new pets, or is this just temporary during breeding season? LOL

Last edited:
Frequently when the wild birds leave, the domestics go with them. When a friend of mine moved into his home there was a flock of turkeys including 7 peafowl that would frequently visit his yard.

For the last three weeks, three wild turkeys have been free ranging with our two domestic turkeys. There were a few flying feathers at first, but now they all seem to get along well. The wilds show no signs of leaving. Do I have new pets, or is this just temporary during breeding season? LOL

For the past five years I have had a wild turkey hen come in, breed with my tom, lay eggs down in the field, hatch her eggs and take the poults and leave. It is definitely the same hen that comes in at approximately the same time every spring. She did show up at least two weeks early last year.

This year I changed my perimeter fencing to keep the deer out and am wondering if she will figure out how to get in this year. Normally she would hop up on one of the corral bars and then jump down into the enclosed area. This year she won't be able to do that. Of course if she decides to roost in one of the trees she will then easily be able to fly down into the enclosed area.

With mine it is definitely a breeding season thing. I am glad that I have never had to deal with a wild tom coming in since here in Wyoming any offspring of a domestic turkey and a wild turkey are considered wild turkeys and therefore the property of the state. Here a G&F permit is required to possess wild turkeys.

Good luck and be careful that your turkeys don't leave with the wild ones.

Last edited:
I have one male, one female, and the turkeys coming to visit are mostly male. They've been around long enough that our turkeys have seemed to accept them, in a barely tolerant way. Our female fought with the biggest wild male (and won) and won't let him near her. I don't know what the wilds are hanging around for when she's made it clear she's not interested, lol.

For the past five years I have had a wild turkey hen come in, breed with my tom, lay eggs down in the field, hatch her eggs and take the poults and leave.  It is definitely the same hen that comes in at approximately the same time every spring.  She did show up at least two weeks early last year.

This year I changed my perimeter fencing to keep the deer out and am wondering if she will figure out how to get in this year.  Normally she would hop up on one of the corral bars and then jump down into the enclosed area.  This year she won't be able to do that.  Of course if she decides to roost in one of the trees she will then easily be able to fly down into the enclosed area.

With mine it is definitely a breeding season thing.  I am glad that I have never had to deal with a wild tom coming in since here in Wyoming any offspring of a domestic turkey and a wild turkey are considered wild turkeys and therefore the property of the state.  Here a G&F permit is required to possess wild turkeys.

Good luck and be careful that your turkeys don't leave with the wild ones.

I have wild hen that showed up this morning. Which is surprising the closest. Timber and creek is about a half mile away. Usually the turkeys are about 3/4 of a mile down where the timber gets wider.

Back
Top Bottom