Is it possible to artificially inseminate a turkey

joojy

Songster
14 Years
Jun 11, 2008
bloomington indiana
Hi
I have 2 royal palms, both turned out to be female. I do not want to order a straight run, of 15 turkeys,. Does anyone know if you can order turkey sperm, or borrow a turkey. I cannot find a royal palm male in Indiana.

Have you tried craigslist. Toms are usually not hard to get. If you were in Mo. I know where a few are now.

Hi
I have 2 royal palms, both turned out to be female. I do not want to order a straight run, of 15 turkeys,. Does anyone know if you can order turkey sperm, or borrow a turkey. I cannot find a royal palm male in Indiana.

I don't know of anyone selling turkey sperm. Check with your local feed stores to find out who around you is raising turkeys. It is possible that you can work something out with a local to get your hens bred.

You could also try contacting Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys. He is located in Indiana. Even if he can't help you, he may know someone who can help. Since he does breed and sell Royal Palms, he may find your artificial insemination dilemma interesting.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/

And be sure to post what you find...I have a Rio mix female with a breeding injury. She is laying but has been removed from the pen. We want her bred, but don't want her hurt again, so artificial insemination would be perfect...especially if Porter's can provide the sperm because I believe he had/has Rio Grande.

And be sure to post what you find...I have a Rio mix female with a breeding injury. She is laying but has been removed from the pen. We want her bred, but don't want her hurt again, so artificial insemination would be perfect...especially if Porter's can provide the sperm because I believe he had/has Rio Grande.

I am pretty sure that Porter does not carry any wild turkeys. He only deals in heritage turkeys and has cut back from what he used to carry. If you have a tom the following link tells how to collect the sperm and how to inseminate the hen.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou...ew_of_artificial_insemination_in_poultry.html

Back
Top Bottom