Turkeys attacking chickens

rainaj77

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014
We've had turkeys and chickens free ranging together since we moved to a small farm about 7-8 months ago without any problems. Until two weeks ago. Everyone was heading into the coop for the evening and suddenly the three adult turkeys turned on one of our Campines. We thought she was dead, but thankfully they just knocked her out (or she passed out from fear!). She's doing pretty good, but still a little slow sometimes. Just this morning I set the roo that I've been nursing inside (he's anemic) on the front porch to get some sun and stretch out someplace other than our bathtub. Not five minutes later those same three turkeys had jumped the fence and had him pinned down pecking at him. Thankfully I was nearby so I got him away. But the turkeys are pacing back in forth on the front porch waiting for him again.

I am pretty sure our best solution is to get rid of the turkeys. But why would they suddenly turn on the others?

Are these all hen turkeys or males. Or do you have both.

Mating season is here. My flock has lost its mind. Everybody is fighting everybody. Hens fighting roos. Roos and toms fighting.

Hopefully as spring wears on they will calm back down.

WOW...we have a male Rio Grande we were given when the previous owner's favorite Rhode Island Red Roo decided to be "all macho" and take on the Rio..the chicken didn't win (but it lived). Meanwhile, we've had a number of young cockerels in with this Rio while they await new homes or butcher date and never had the Rio do anything to them, but they are younger and seem to know their place. I am amazed that your 3 went out of their way to attack your boy on the porch. It is breeding season..and personalities do change during this time of year. Part of the problem could be 2 boys and 1 girl - which will cause agitation for the males and could lead to injury of your female if one male tries to knock the breeding male off the hen. If you can...pen one male and the female together somewhere and the other male elsewhere, out of site of the female.

Back
Top Bottom