Help! Humidity keeps going down.

Jlucia

Hatching
Mar 22, 2015
I'm on day 20, put them in lockdown yesterday, but the humidity keeps going down--lowest was 57% rather than 65-70. No signs of pipping. Is it okay to put a sponge inside to get humidity up? This is in my classroom, so I can't keep up all night to add water through the vent. THANK YOU!

I'm on day 20, put them in lockdown yesterday, but the humidity keeps going down--lowest was 57% rather than 65-70. No signs of pipping. Is it okay to put a sponge inside to get humidity up? This is in my classroom, so I can't keep up all night to add water through the vent. THANK YOU!
Yup. I would add a couple sponges. I usually have at least 2 in mine at lockdown.
smile.png

Keep in mind raising humidity can only be done by increasing the amount of water surface,
I have a large square tray on the bottom of my incubator which i fill up with water. If humidity is to low a add an extra waterfilled foodplate on top of the tray. Just to get more watersurface. I guess a spunge will do the same job.

Last edited:
Thanks! Is it okay to open the incubator during lockdown to add more water or sponges?

Thanks! Is it okay to open the incubator during lockdown to add more water or sponges?
It is recommended at lockdown to not open any more than neccessary, but yes, it's fine to add water or a couple sponges. It is better to have your humidity up. You have vents open/vent plugs out right?

Yes, vents opened and I added sponges and the humidity is much better. Now I'm paranoid because I think I saw a pop after I already opened it. It was only opened for maybe 30 seconds, so I'm thinking it'll be fine.
Thanks so much for the prompt feedback.

Yes, vents opened and I added sponges and the humidity is much better. Now I'm paranoid because I think I saw a pop after I already opened it. It was only opened for maybe 30 seconds, so I'm thinking it'll be fine.
Thanks so much for the prompt feedback.
It should be fine. Good luck on the hatch! Hope you guys get to see some chicks hatching!

My humidity levels on the incubator keeps going down, my manual says it should be at 60 because the product is set at 45 for humidity, but now the humidity stays at 50 or lower. This is my first day and first time using it.. I need help understanding it please

Please, before you let an other day go by, read the information in the learning center regarding "dry hatch". Lots of chicks are killed by following the instructions that come with an incubator! You'll get a much better hatch keeping your humidity down to around 30% during the first 18 days of incubation. Read all of the information in "Hatching 101" and you'll have a much better idea of what's going on and how to optimize your hatch. Most important: calibrate your thermometer to 100*, and keep that humidity down until lock down.

Back
Top Bottom