Our chicken adventure

momnson

Hatching
Mar 23, 2015
hello my son and I are getting ready to raise chickens for the first time in northern Illinois . We are excited ( and a little nervous)! The coop is almost done and we have researched some breeds ( based on production and temperament ). We are allowed 6 birds in our village and plan on getting 3 each cinnamon queen and Easter egg era. Any advice and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated
1f60a.png

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Cinnamon Queen is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by color from hatching, but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. You should get loads of eggs from those three girls. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you and your son! Raising chickens is a wonderful experience and I'm sure you and your son will enjoy this new very much. I too started out with red sex link hens and they were great birds and were great at laying. My words of wisdom would be - Enjoy them!! Drop by the getting started with chckens section of the learning centre, here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens Lots of great articles on getting started.
Be sure to ask any questions you may have along the way, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom