Wrapping the tip of a toe

Kadjain

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Tehama, Nor Cal (way nor)
Over a week a ago one of my cocks ripped a claw off. I have been trying to keep it clean and tried to wrap it but that lasted about 5 minutes. He is now developed a bumble kernel right under where his claw should be. I'm going to clean it out again but I'm hoping some has had successful experience wrapping the tip of a toe and can share the technique

Thanks

Over a week a ago one of my cocks ripped a claw off. I have been trying to keep it clean and tried to wrap it but that lasted about 5 minutes. He is now developed a bumble kernel right under where his claw should be. I'm going to clean it out again but I'm hoping some has had successful experience wrapping the tip of a toe and can share the technique

Thanks

Not experienced it but I would use some vet wrap after cleaning then do a figure eight with a strip of duct tape. ONce around the toe then back around the back of his foot. Make sure its not too tight. Vet wrap is good stuff it sticks only to itself... You can do the figure eight with that first then duct tape over the top.

I have wrapped bandages on far bigger and more destructive animals than a chicken. Like a horse that had had foot surgery to remove a chunk of wood imbeded in his sole.... Same technique essentially for bandaging... It has to cut off any way to change the dressing after its been dragged about and stomped on...

I would also restrict the roos movements till the wound heals enough to withstand the rigors of foraging.

Good luck

deb

My first time performing this type of surgery

It did not look like much but appeared painful for him and obstructed his walking

The kernel came out the side of the toe toward my index finger

Cut out infected area

Discard infected tissue (fireplace)

Washed the foot w Dawn dish soap

Wrap the toe w gauze and the toe and foot w vet tape

Already walking easier

Eggcellent job.... Ooh hes a pretty Roo... I am no expert... Aseel?

I have only heard about those kernels.... With other animals I would say granular flesh (scab) that has gone rogue... Definately need to be removed and its a traumatic experience for both the remover and the removee....

Any thoughts on how he lost his toenail?

The next is all past tense because I lost all my birds to predators a couple of years ago... LONg story:

I keep chickens in the desert and pretty much dont put bedding down in the coop. Total fesh air arrangement. Because I cant let them free range (predators) my coop is designed for long term living. Another very long story.

I set the perches up high so they have to get some exercise getting up to roost. With a take off point for those who need it. but I put down a layer of bedding down like either shavings or rice hulls for those times when they fly down... To help keep foot injuries down. Last flock I had were some very LF Welsummers. when they matured they were a good five pounds each and egg laying machines...
gig.gif
. Each one had to fly six feet up to roost. it was the getting down part they needed encouragement with. they did good. though. soft landing spot... twelve feet from the roost was perfect.

deb

Thank you, I felt like I accomplished something. I think he got it caught in the wire fence.
And thank you for appreciating my brood cock. He is the product of years of my breeding program. He is a mix of Oriental Gamefowl, no Aseel blood though. Now I just need them all to come out like him.

Thank you, I felt like I accomplished something. I think he got it caught in the wire fence.
And thank you for appreciating my brood cock. He is the product of years of my breeding program. He is a mix of Oriental Gamefowl, no Aseel blood though. Now I just need them all to come out like him.

Oh I recognized the basic conformation. Good job on breeding to your own standards.

I am looking for Sumatras that havent been messed with by the "Standard Of Perfection" myself... Just wily good foragers and very good fliers in-case of predator attack. I like Sumatras for my particular location... Plus I like their coloring, and personality traits.

deb

Oh I recognized the basic conformation. Good job on breeding to your own standards.

I am looking for Sumatras that havent been messed with by the "Standard Of Perfection" myself... Just wily good foragers and very good fliers in-case of predator attack. I like Sumatras for my particular location... Plus I like their coloring, and personality traits.

deb
I see Sumatra on some of the Oriental Gamefowl facebook groups I am on. There are some showy looking ones but I see authentic ones as well.

Quote:
I will either go through Sandhill preservation or a fellow I know in New York state. My Coop has to be reconfigured and relocated before I can take on poultry again.... but thanks. Its going to go from just a couple partitions to four maybe five... I want to raise Sumatras Guinea Fowl and one or two egg layers. Then I will have a partition for Meaties...

Here in the desert Ihave to be particularly diligent about predation. Thats why the coop move and in the process major fortification will be done. Then a fortified poultry run. I have had ravens get into the coop and steel eggs...
lau.gif
My fault.

I got the usual suspects.... Raccoons, Owls, Hawks, coyotes.... But add to that Desert Bobcat, Mountain lion, and the worst of them all.... feral dogs. Coyotes got my whole flock last time.... sigh.
deb

Back
Top Bottom