New member- ISO fertile eggs

kmere

Hatching
Mar 26, 2015
Hi! We have raised chickens for 2 1/2 years now. We have a broody chicken, but no fertile eggs for her. Would love to get her about 4 fertile eggs- she is polish, so, we'd like more polish, but would be happy with a calm breed like Buff Orpingtons. We live in South Louisiana- thank you!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

Kelsie2290, I didn't realize it would be ok to give a broody hen chicks- do you think she would attack them? She's usually very docile, but she's quite the aggressive broody girl!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Ooh a broody polish!! I've got mainly polish but non have gone broody, I wouldn't mind though would be great for one of my hens to raise some chicks for herself. You never know maybe this spring one will for me.
I've never added chicks but here is a thread about adding chicks https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/892506/giving-chicks-to-a-broody-hen
Adding at night seems best so mother hen can bond.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your broody polish. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

I hope you can find some eggs or chicks! Good luck with your broody.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Yes buff orps are very calm and affectionate. I would definitely recommend them!

Is you broody sitting on eggs at the moment? Even if they are infertile, I'd let her sit on them a few days to stoke her broodiness, THEN maybe at night, take a couple eggs out and slip in a couple day old chicks. Stay around to supervise in case she isn't thrilled with them. If she thinks she hatched them and accepts them, you could remove more eggs and slip in more chicks. It may work. But it's always good to have a plan B- incubator, if it doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom