Predator eating the eggs

sunshynertc

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
California
I am not sure what predator is eating the eggs in my coop. I suspect a rat as I found a dead one in the yard this weekend.

If it is a rat how do I get get rid of the rats without harming the chicken?

There are also cats in the neighborhood. I don't think it is the cats getting to the eggs.

We also have a lot of Alligator lizards in our back yard, I am not sure if they eat chicken eggs.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am not sure what predator is eating the eggs in my coop. I suspect a rat as I found a dead one in the yard this weekend.

If it is a rat how do I get get rid of the rats without harming the chicken?

There are also cats in the neighborhood. I don't think it is the cats getting to the eggs.

We also have a lot of Alligator lizards in our back yard, I am not sure if they eat chicken eggs.

Thanks

If you post photos of your coop we can better get an idea of what animals are likely to be able to make entry and get at the eggs. Is the coop attached to an enclosed run or open to the great outdoors? The fact of the matter is that it *could* be just about anything eating your eggs - and once they discover all you can eat breakfast buffets they keep coming back. Rather than trying to look at it as how to get *this* predator, it is going to be more effective to consider how to keep all predators from being able to get to the eggs in the first place. You could use roll away nests if you are opposed to closing up/off the birds.

Rats do still egg when thy have the chance! You can use traps that rat need do go inside it so the chicken don't harm themselves! But I think that you should put some more efforts in prevention axes from rodent, to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom