Paper bedding?

Just a thought ....if you are going to paper bedding just buy a paper shredder and DYI your news papers, it will probably be cheaper in the long run. "Leave it to wally world to find another gimmic to steal your money". Still, IMO paper is for rats and mice, mulch and such.

Paper is good for chicks in whole sheet as a base for the new chicks else they will peck the small shreds. Pine and Cedar chips are bad, all wood chips as a matter of fact, as chicks will peck that as well. Some chips even have chemical insecticides and fungal control chemicals in them (bad). When chips and paper get wet it will hold moisture and house more bacteria. For nesting hens I would bet paper would mat/pack down too much to be of use, thus I would stick with hay and straw.

Oh, if you lay the whole sheets down for the chicks they will have something to read when they get board!

Wood shavings have worked fine for me for many batches of chics. Yes they peck at them, keeps them busy, never had an issue! If you for some reason shavings scare you, and for some reason you think airplanes are flying around spraying insecticides and fungicides on trees for no apparent reason, then peat moss works well for chicks! just watch there toe nails, after digging for a while balls of peat moss can build up on the tip. For full size birds I use stray!

I have used paper shreds for my 26 chicks for last month or so just stop by the recycling center and grab a stack of newspaper and shred away till I get enough to cover the floor about three inches and it lasts about a week or two before needs changed out.... They are now getting much larger and the paper shreds do mat and break down easily with all the poo...
1f4a9.png
thinking of straw next but for now the paper shreds are free! Loved them soo far.

Back
Top Bottom