Incubating Turkey eggs

LuvnChickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 4, 2012
I have 6 laying hens that are laying for the first time. I found 17 eggs in a nest but no hen is sitting. I don't want them to go to waste so I put them in my incubator today. Was I wrong? I live in WV and is still cold at night and some may have already froze. What do you do? Thanks Robin

Were they somewhat warm when you gathered them? Hens don't sit on the nest all the time, especially when laying enough to make a "clutch" to incubate. 17 certainly seems enough. And do you have a tom?

Since you've already gathered them and put them in an incubator, I'd suggest candling them. If you see no development, try again in a week. Be on the lookout for smelly or leaky eggs every day, since you don't know how old they are or if they are likely to be fertile.

If you have no tom, then I'd toss them as they can't hatch if not fertile.

Last edited:
As far as being warm, not warm like she was sitting. And we can see where the eggs are from our window. And yes I have 2 Toms and I know they had connected. Now what we have been noticing is that there are at least 3 hens going in the same nest. I didn't think turkeys did that, but this is my first for breeding turkeys. I will wait a few more days and then candle them.

Yes turkeys use the same nest. I lost two hens last year that were sharing a nest to a coyote.

Some hens it won't matter to. But if you collect them put fake eggs or a chicken eggs in their eggs place and they will keep using same nest. Sometime if they nitice their eggs are gone they will pick another nest site.

Good luck on what you have already gathered.

Thank you, I will put some chicken eggs there tomorrow. We have coyote also, a little worried about the turkeys.

Update: Baby turkeys are hatching !!!! So far I have 6, and many are piping. Very exciting. Plus I have 3 hens that are laying on eggs, all in the same nest.

I could really use some help right now also. I'm on an IPhone and can't find anywhere else to post this. A landscaper found a turkey egg on top of a mulch pile at a gardening store. He didn't want it hurt so he brought it to me last Wednesday. All I have been using is a heating pad, lightbulb, and wet cloth to the side. Can anyone tell by these pics if it's viable? I don't know how it can be with everything it's been through but I'm hoping the baby is ok
I'm not seeing any movement and the vein just appeared 4 days ago. Could it be a blood line? I'm seriously a nervous wreck, I would sell my souls for an incubator right now lol

Last edited:
Yes, the second photo shows veining! With the setup you have, it may grow to hatching but the odds are not great. But it does look like you are doing well so far!

Ok thank you. I couldn't tell if it was a vein or the starting of a blood ring. I will be so bummed if it doesn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom