Looking for/buying plans for a 4x8, 6x6, or 6x8 coop.

KatieBird

Hatching
Mar 11, 2015
Hi everyone, I'm Katie! I'm here looking for some information. The already built coops are much to expensive, so I've decided to do it myself! I have been looking all over the internet, and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a 4x8, 6x6, or 6x8 coop, measurements are just for the coop where the chickens sleep, not the run. If anyone has any plans that include the materials needed and stuff, or websites to share, please let me know, would be much appreciated.

Look in the coops section at the top of this page.

I suggest you read these two articles before you build. Ventilation is very important in any climate. A wet coop or run is a dangerous coop or run from a disease perspective. The best time to fix that problem is before you build.

Pat’s Big Ol' Ventilation Page
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Pat’s Big Ol' Mud Page (fixing muddy runs):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

You might want to follow the link in my signature to get my thoughts on how much space they need. You’ll see a lot of numbers given for that, different numbers. That’s because there are a lot of variables involved in our climates, our flock make-ups, our management techniques, our goals, and many other things. We are all unique. I find the more I crowd them the more behavioral problems I have to deal with, the less flexibility I have to manage problems, and the harder I have to work. I have no problems trying to make my life easier by giving them a bit more room.

If you are buying new material, most building materials come in 4’ or 8’ dimensions. You can often save a lot of cutting and waste by planning around those. If you are reusing material that is a different size, of course work with what you have. A 6’ width isn’t horrible because you can split a sheet of plywood or siding for the sides and you should have a roof overhang so you can open the tops of the walls for ventilation and keep rain out.

You need to be able to access all parts inside the coop. You may need to do maintenance or modifications, clean, retrieve an egg not laid in the nest, or maybe a chicken that does not want to be retrieved. Your intermediate size is a bit awkward for that. If you build it walk-in you don’t have a lot of room to move in there and if you build it reach-in you have to have several openings. As you can see in that tab above a lot of people have coops in this size but I think access is something you need to consider.

Good luck and welcome to the adventure.

Back
Top Bottom