Advice for making stacked nesting boxes with exterior mount

Missyrae

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 12, 2014
Hello
I've been searching the internet for pictures or plans on how to make stacked nesting boxes.
I've seen pictures of them in the coop, but I want to make exterior ones.
I want them to be 3 side by side with 3 right above them
I guess my question is how do you design the outside to open? I could do a drop down of the bottom level, and then make the lid open for the top, but I was wondering if there's a better way, I can't make the whole thing drop down because it would hit the ground
I don't know, I like to be able to see pictures, if anyone has ever seen or made that type of box and can help me out, that would be great! Thanks in advance :)

Instead of dropping down you could make the back lift up, either as one piece or upper and lower levels separately.

x2! I'm guessing you meant 3x3 for your boxes. 3 wide 3 tall so 9 boxes. Either the entire back lifts on hinges and have a prop rod or some sort of cable to hold it up, or like mentioned, have each row open independently! Good luck!

I only need 6 nesting boxes, so I was just stacking 3 on top of the other 3.
I guess I never thought of propping them up Lol Now I just have to find a picture.
I'm making a new coop next month and am trying to plan it out
Thanks guys!

I have 6, getting 6 more hens next month and I'm incubating 6 eggs.
Once the new ones come I know I'll be hatching some of their eggs after a while.
Chicken Math Lol

I have 6, getting 6 more hens next month and I'm incubating 6 eggs.
Once the new ones come I know I'll be hatching some of their eggs after a while.
Chicken Math Lol

From what I understand typically people recommend up to 4 birds per box. So if you are going with chicken math..... build away lol Better now then doing renos in the coop with 20 some birds in my opinion. That's why my neighbour wintered my birds for me, I rushed outing chickens into a coop that in theory wasn't quite ready for them.

Yea, I hope to have the new one built in the next month before the new arrivals. They'll have the smaller coop for a while as we introduce them to my current birds.
Mine are all bantams, different varieties. My little pets Lol

I have 10 hens and they only used 1 box. The other one next to it just sit there and collect dust. I think 3 boxes would be enough for your 12 hens. My suggest would be 1 long box with slot/divider that can make to 2 or 3 boxes if need. I also suggest you make the 1st set little higher and leave enough room below for 2nd set in the future. This way when you end up 30+ chickens and there room to add 3 more boxes down below and able to use the same roof top cover from the 1st set.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom