Why don't my 25 day old ducklings like to go outside?

Honey Maid

Songster
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
State of Jefferson
Hello all,
I had my ducklings in a brooder in a coop. When they got too large for the brooder, I took it down and they had free run of the coop. I've been transporting them out to the garden, so I could keep an eye on them when I worked in the garden. Did that for about 4 or 5 days. Now their yard is all set up, kiddie pool, some shade, some sun. Yesterday I introduced them to their yard and pool. They stayed outside, laid in the sun, swam in the pool, and I had to herd them back into the coop in the evening.
This morning I opened their coop and lured them out of the coop with some peas. When about my work, went back to check on them about 45 minutes later, they were all back in the coop. Got some lettuce, lured them out again, went back about an hour later, they were all back in the coop. It is breezy here today, but warm, could that be it? I thought they'd be swimming in the pool again today and running around their yard, but no. I thought it was kinda strange, anybody have any ideas ?
TIA

Hello all,
I had my ducklings in a brooder in a coop. When they got too large for the brooder, I took it down and they had free run of the coop. I've been transporting them out to the garden, so I could keep an eye on them when I worked in the garden. Did that for about 4 or 5 days. Now their yard is all set up, kiddie pool, some shade, some sun. Yesterday I introduced them to their yard and pool. They stayed outside, laid in the sun, swam in the pool, and I had to herd them back into the coop in the evening.
This morning I opened their coop and lured them out of the coop with some peas. When about my work, went back to check on them about 45 minutes later, they were all back in the coop. Got some lettuce, lured them out again, went back about an hour later, they were all back in the coop. It is breezy here today, but warm, could that be it? I thought they'd be swimming in the pool again today and running around their yard, but no. I thought it was kinda strange, anybody have any ideas ?
TIA
Is this area right out in the open? ducks are prey animals so being out in the open at that age is probably pretty scary. Maybe if you were with them they would feel much better about being on their own. Something may have scared them.

Is this area right out in the open? ducks are prey animals so being out in the open at that age is probably pretty scary. Maybe if you were with them they would feel much better about being on their own. Something may have scared them.

I agree.
My 7 month old sucks usually prefer when I am with them to roam the yard, otherwise they stay in a 3-4 yard area near their coop.

Last edited:
Thaks all, glad its not something unusual. Their yard has a couple of trees in it, and there are several trees in the area, so there is plenty of cover. Tomorrow I'll sit with them awile while they are in their yard. Thanks for the input cl0ud, never thought of that, maybe they miss the company they had with me in the garden. They were getting too comfortable in there, exploring too much, and started trampling the flowers.

I Love BYC, so glad I found it!

Figured I'd post an update. They are doing just fine,. Today they stayed outside most of the day, they are getting more comfortable with the big outdoors. What is really great is they return to the coop in the evening, even sooner than my chickens return to their coop. So all is well, a big thank you to everyone, it really reassured me.

Figured I'd post an update. They are doing just fine,. Today they stayed outside most of the day, they are getting more comfortable with the big outdoors. What is really great is they return to the coop in the evening, even sooner than my chickens return to their coop. So all is well, a big thank you to everyone, it really reassured me.
That's great news!! getting brave means growing up! enjoy them all.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom