Should I get another goose or ducks?

Gooseluv

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2015
PEI Canada
We got 2 Embden goslings last spring as pets. We had no idea what sex they were and really did not know how that would matter anyway as this poultry business was completely new to us. The goslings grew into lovely pets. One was a bit aggressive towards our daughter. This goose's aggression towards our daughter worsened over the winter and then the other started to attack this goose at night in the coop. A friend of ours thought we may have 2 ganders. We rehomed the one goose who was aggressive towards our daughter and kept the other. The one we kept laid an egg the other day, which kinda messes up our gander theory. Now that we know our goose is a hen, I am left baffled as to why she was attacking the other goose in the coop at night. She is lonely and losing weight while she awaits spring and we need to get her (a) companion(s). With the spring hatch on the way, I do not know what to get her, another female goose or some ducks. If she was attacking our other goose, will she do that with the new one? A gander is out of the question as I worry about it becoming overprotective of our hen and possibly being an aggressive pet anyway (due to circumstance). So, another goose, or some ducks? Your advice for this novice would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Get her another goose. Ducks are better than nothing, but it's like television compared to a friend. Best thing would be to get her some goslings - chances are she'll bond with them instantly. Introducing a grown goose may take some effort.

Thank you, that's what I thought. We have an order in for a female Piligram gosling, just wanted to make sure before we settled with that and it was potentially a mistake. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom