Quiet flock?

ukrkoz

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Not sure what I done wrong with previous post but apparently it's messed up bad.
Let me re-run the question.
Anyone knows how to keep a "quiet" flock on 5 acre wooded property? HOA regulations do not allow "noisy fowl" but the man said "as far as there are no complaints from neighbors, we do not really care much". All I can think of is roosters gone, but hens can be very noisy every time they lay an egg.
Here's property pic for reference:

Last edited:
Personally I would not buy a home in a HOA if I also wanted to keep chickens. I would feel confined by its limitations and concerned that the rather vague language of "keeping them quiet" would be interpreted differently by each neighbor. One might be happy with a rooster who only crows by day and others might complain at any sound they make. Since you still have the option NOT to get the HOA home (if I'm reading between the lines correctly) I would run, run, run from this one.

But to answer your question.....some breeds are noisier than others and some individuals within each breed are noisier. I have a silkie that murmurs quietly to me as she follows me around but rarely makes noise that anyone else would notice. But I only have one silkie - a friend who breeds silkies (so has a lot of them) certainly experiences noise when they all get going.

Chickens in general are pretty quiet most of the time. They don't make noise at night (unlike dogs who can bark all night if left outside) and during the day they are mostly content to peck and scratch and are really only noisy at egg-laying time. But to my knowledge there is no way to shut up a noisy hen.

True
Yes we have an optional 5 acre that is "independent " full fence and lot is all yours. Even already has 2 goats and crappy but chicken coop. From some perspective even a better house. Not as pretty though and a bit older . But MUCH more practical
Me,besides building large containment coop,I don't see how to totally keep noise down.
It's a gamble on HOA.

Back
Top Bottom