Golden Manchurias

Little-Farmer

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
Hi all. We have recently started raising coturnix quail and it has been easy to find a load of information about them.
Now I have 50 Goldens in the incubator and I'm having a harder time finding info about them. Are they a different color version of the coturnix or a different variety all together? I'm trying to find out how long their incubation period is as well as maturity timeline and when to expect them to start laying.
Any suggestions???

Hi all. We have recently started raising coturnix quail and it has been easy to find a load of information about them.
Now I have 50 Goldens in the incubator and I'm having a harder time finding info about them. Are they a different color version of the coturnix or a different variety all together? I'm trying to find out how long their incubation period is as well as maturity timeline and when to expect them to start laying.
Any suggestions???
They are a color version of coturnix. 16-18 days incubation, 6-8 weeks to start laying.

Thanks!

That means we may get babies on Easter!

Any more info is greatly appreciated...
A coturnix is a coturnix more or less. Some color phases can be bred larger than others, manchurians being one of the smaller varities. When breeding manchurians there is a "lethal" gene which will essentially mean that you'll have a lower fertility rate when breeding a manchurian to a manchurian, than you will breeding them with a pharaoh or some other color phase not possessed of the lethal gene. Typically only golden varieties will have the lethal gene.

Thank you doc3085.

The breeder told me it was not a good idea to breed the golden's with the jumbo coturnix that I have because it would give me a mutt of a quail. But your saying that my best option would be to breed them if I ever wanted to incubate my own eggs for the best fertility rate?

Im not in the market for breedin, we just want eggs. But it would be nice to have the option if my count becomes low at some point. Also, I'm deciding on coops right now and wondering if I can eventually mix them for housing purposes once the golden's are fully grown.

The breeder didn't exactly give you a straight answer. If you cross your manchurians with pharaohs you will get another color phase, called Golden speckled or golden italian. From there you can increase or decrease the amount of spotting by crossing with either manchurians or pharaohs. There is no pedigree or standard from which to say this breed is pure and this one is a mutt.

You can breed manchurians to each other and stay with a "clean" line, but your fertility will be appx. 25% less right off the top. On a hobby farm that isn't a big deal at all.

This site has the color phases labeled with pictures, in the future should you want more hatching eggs I'd recommend purchasing them here, the quality can't be beat.

Here are some pics of gold italians, or "mutts"

Those are beautiful quail. You've eased my mind about combining the different breeds.
This farm is actually where I bought the golden Manchurian eggs.

Can the Goldens be easily sexed by breast coloration like the pharaoh?

Thanks for you info! I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom