Layer feed.?

SammileeChickie

Songster
Mar 7, 2015
Southern California
My chicks are 5 and 3 weeks I was told after six weeks to start grower feed, but at the pet feed store the worker told me I could start layer feed after 6 weeks. The grower feed they have only comes in a big bag and he said that I can just skip grower feed and start layer. Is this true.? When do I start grower feed and when do I start layer feed.?

My chicks are 5 and 3 weeks I was told after six weeks to start grower feed, but at the pet feed store the worker told me I could start layer feed after 6 weeks. The grower feed they have only comes in a big bag and he said that I can just skip grower feed and start layer. Is this true.? When do I start grower feed and when do I start layer feed.?

Hello, It is best to keep chicks on a feed that has a minimum of 18% protein. Layer only has 15 to 16%. the other problem is that layer feed contains 4% calcium whereas, starter is around 1% . Layer, is too much calcium, to soon, not a good thing especially if any of your chicks turn out to be cockerels. They certainly don't need that much calcium! Because of the rapid growth and feathering of chicks, the protein is important. Check the grower against the starter, if they're similar, go ahead. Wait until 16 weeks or POL to start layer.
smile.png

How many chicks do you have? Little bags of feed aren't worth it unless you have a VERY small number of chicks. You can and should feed grower (Flock Raiser) at least until they are all laying eggs, and it's a great feed forever with oyster shell free choice on the side. Your pet store person is sadly misinformed. Mary

How many chicks do you have?  Little bags of feed aren't worth it unless you have a VERY small number of chicks.  You can and should feed grower  (Flock Raiser) at least until they are all laying eggs, and it's a great feed forever with oyster shell free choice on the side.  Your pet store person is sadly misinformed.  Mary

Yeah that's what I thought :( I have two chickens. Okay I will start them on grower food after they finish the bag of starter :)

Do not start layer feed until they actually start laying. Feeding them chick feed longer will not harm them or their systems but starting layer feed too soon can. And FYI, most who work in pet stores aren't really all that knowledgeable about chickens and their needs.

Give All Flock if you have roosters and have oyster shell in another container for the hens. They will eat what they need and there won't be anything in the feed that will harm the rooster's kidneys. Roosters will leave the shell alone for the most part.

It depends.... For me I have a highly mixed flock.
Chickens, chicks. ducks, and a goose.

I mix Game Bird chow, layena, and chick grower with whole oats, whole corn, hen scratch, and calf manna.
I give them all 2 cans of wet cat food every night plus our food scraps, fresh organic foods every day.

meal worms, night crawlers, crickets, and egg shells. (not every day just as treats)

The produce MASSIVE eggs, solid colors, have soft vibrant feathers. Other people in my area often say they envy my birds

Last edited:
It depends.... For me I have a highly mixed flock.
Chickens, chicks. ducks, and a goose.

I mix Game Bird chow, layena, and chick grower with whole oats, whole corn, hen scratch, and calf manna.
I give them all 2 cans of wet cat food every night plus our food scraps, fresh organic foods every day.  

meal worms, night crawlers, crickets, and egg shells. (not every day just as treats)

The produce MASSIVE eggs, solid colors, have soft vibrant feathers. Other people in my area often say they envy my birds

WOW.! At what age did you start giving them cat food.?

Back
Top Bottom