New chick has a bulge on its face :(

ChickenNugget89

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
I got my first chicks ever today and after I got them home I noticed that one has a bulge of sorts right under its eye causing the eye to be swollen shut. Any ideas what could have caused this? And how do I treat it?

Pictures would be helpful please,
smile.png

It Depends on where it is located and what it is. I would say first and foremost, separate the chick from the others. Chicks have a horrible habit at pecking at unknown things even if it is another chick's face. Sadly, I just lost a chick this morning from some eye pecking that turned to swelling of the bottom eyelid, that turned to infection and she kept scratching at it and making it worse. I washed her eye with sterile eye wash, and put Neosporin on it, but she was only a day old when it began, and didn't have the strength to bounce back. It's all still pretty fresh for me.
hmm.png
I'm not sure if it is the same thing your chick is going through, but separating it from the others, keeping it warm, and washing it's eye may be a good start. Also, if you have any pictures, it may help other members identify what is wrong.

Keep us posted

Yeah...i can see the picture, but im not sure what it is. Im wondering if a foreign object got in the bottom of the eye, and now its swelling fron infection? I wish i could help more

It looks like it's filled with fluid. Should I try pricking a hole in it to let it drain, and put neosporin on it?

Im definitely not a professional, but ive seen on this forum somewhere that someone needed to drain fluid, and they iced it first to make it more numb. If you do that i would probably use a very small sterilized needle. Neosporin is good for preventing further infection, but make sure that it is just the original triple antibiotic kind and NOT the kind with added "pain relief". I really hope your chick starts to feel better, hopefully some more people will weigh in on this.

Back
Top Bottom