How much handling is too much?

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
If any of you caught my introductory post, I purchased 4 Buff Orpingtons on Thursday, they were day-olds. My kids love the chicks and want to handle them. They are very gentle with them. I have been making sure to handle them in the morning and the evening for a few seconds each. Some of this is me washing them off with a dampened cloth. I just want to make sure that they are ok to be handled on a regular basis. I don't want to make them sick.

Thanks,

Marie

If any of you caught my introductory post, I purchased 4 Buff Orpingtons on Thursday, they were day-olds. My kids love the chicks and want to handle them. They are very gentle with them. I have been making sure to handle them in the morning and the evening for a few seconds each. Some of this is me washing them off with a dampened cloth. I just want to make sure that they are ok to be handled on a regular basis. I don't want to make them sick.

Thanks,

Marie

Hi, and welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
It is ok to handle your chicks for a few minutes each. Not good to wash the chicks, they won't get any cleaner and damp is not good for them. Better to wash You (your hands) before and after handling chicks. Happy chickening!
smile.png

Hi, and welcome! :welcome It is ok to handle your chicks for a few minutes each. Not good to wash the chicks, they won't get any cleaner and damp is not good for them. Better to wash You (your hands) before and after handling chicks. Happy chickening! :)

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will make sure only to wash them when they have that paste-butt. One of them had some really stuck on there, it was actually a challenge to remove.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will make sure only to wash them when they have that paste-butt. One of them had some really stuck on there, it was actually a challenge to remove.
Make sure chicks are drinking. When you clean off pasty butt, put a little vasaline on the vent so the poop doesn't stick. If you just got them, dip each ones beak in the water so they know it's there.
smile.png

Make sure chicks are drinking. When you clean off pasty butt, put a little vasaline on the vent so the poop doesn't stick. If you just got them, dip each ones beak in the water so they know it's there.:)

I actually used a little olive oil because I read online that someone suggested that, as well.
The chicks knew how to drink, luckily, without my intervention. I didn't even consider that they may not! I am getting australorps on Thursday and will make sure to observe them in case I need to help them figure it out.
I just wanted to mention, I had them on newspaper and paper towels for the first two nights. I was changing their bedding every few hours! As a consequence, they were getting spots of poop on them. I switched to pine shavings this morning and so far they have stayed clean!

I actually used a little olive oil because I read online that someone suggested that, as well.
The chicks knew how to drink, luckily, without my intervention. I didn't even consider that they may not! I am getting australorps on Thursday and will make sure to observe them in case I need to help them figure it out.
I just wanted to mention, I had them on newspaper and paper towels for the first two nights. I was changing their bedding every few hours! As a consequence, they were getting spots of poop on them. I switched to pine shavings this morning and so far they have stayed clean!

That should work. Just make sure they are not eating shavings! Chicks don't always know what is food and what is not. I have dedicated animal towels (old bath) I use them to raise chicks on at first, to cover the brooder at night, for hospital cage floors and covers, chicken baths baths, bird wrapping for treatment,,,If you don't have any you're willing to part with, buy them at a thrift store. They are invaluable for chicken keeping!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom