Bare Bottoms

reneel524

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 20, 2014

2 of my girls, one a light brahma one a barred rock are missing a large round area of feathers on their backside. I dont see any type of discharge on the skin, any idea what could be causing thia

I got 8 hens last year from a fAmily members. One of them have had a completely naked back side since then. No signs of parasites and no-one is bothering her bare butt. She lays an egg practically everyday. Thank goodness. I would look to see if there is any sign of parasites first and then maybe just keep an eye out for it getting any worse.

They are both laying daily as well, they were feathered there and then all of a sudden they seem to both have this crop circle action going on their back side. My other hen is totally normal

I have and i dont physically see anything. We just thawed out, hopefully for good and i plan on taking the whole coop down and giving it a good cleaning, along with the mulch and sand in their run i do keep a light lining of ceder chips mixed in the bedding inside the coop, i was hoping mites or lice would have a hard time tolerating that.

There's probably a feather picker in your flock. Purchase Nu-Stock and put it on the bald areas. It'll be in the equine section at your feed store. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it. Continue applying as necessary until healed/feather regrowth.

Maybe that would explain why one hen has an untouched bottom? I will get that stuff and give it a try

There's probably a feather picker in your flock. Purchase Nu-Stock and put it on the bald areas. It'll be in the equine section at your feed store. Shake the tube well and wear disposable gloves when applying it. Continue applying as necessary until healed/feather regrowth.
I am go I my to try this too.

Back
Top Bottom