TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
This is our first hatch. We have a Hovabator 1588. Here's the timeline:

March 8 - set 12 eggs (evening)
March 26 - lockdown
March 27 (day 19) - first chick pipped in the evening
March 28 (day 20) - first chick was hatched when we woke up; second chick pipped during the previous night and hatched at noon; three more hatched at 10 pm; 2 were pipped when I went to bed
March 29 (day 21) - 2 were hatched when we woke up; 1 more just hatched at 8 am; 2 more are pipped and wiggling

Is this a normal timeline, or is it too staggered? We moved the hatchees to the brooder as they dried.

There are only 2 eggs left that haven't pipped or otherwise shown signs of life. How long should I wait on them, since it's now day 21, but 5 of 8 popped out early?

I would say your timeline looks fairly close to where you want it to be. You are still on day 21 I wouldn't panic on the last three eggs yet. I would wait until at least day 22 maybe 23. You can find many threads and info on candling and float tests etc. to check for life in the eggs after that. Good luck.

This is our first hatch. We have a Hovabator 1588. Here's the timeline:

March 8 - set 12 eggs (evening)
March 26 - lockdown
March 27 (day 19) - first chick pipped in the evening
March 28 (day 20) - first chick was hatched when we woke up; second chick pipped during the previous night and hatched at noon; three more hatched at 10 pm; 2 were pipped when I went to bed
March 29 (day 21) - 2 were hatched when we woke up; 1 more just hatched at 8 am; 2 more are pipped and wiggling

Is this a normal timeline, or is it too staggered? We moved the hatchees to the brooder as they dried.

There are only 2 eggs left that haven't pipped or otherwise shown signs of life. How long should I wait on them, since it's now day 21, but 5 of 8 popped out early?
That looks just like my last hatch.
big_smile.png
Half of mine pipped day 19 and hatched day 20 the rest were finished by mid day 21. I had three that had no action. I waited until end of day 22 and candled and was fairly sure that they were goners and preceeded to eggtopsy. Generally (and there are exceptions to everything) the eggs that are going to hatch -hatch out w/in 48 hours beginning to end. I would candle and if needs be water candle at the end of day 22 and then make your decision.

Thanks you all! I am glad to know this wasn't too abnormal. I'll give the last 2 a couple more days. So far I've got ten healthy chicks scooting around like waterbugs in the brooder, so I'm thrilled for this much success!!

This is my first hatch too! My first one hatched on day 20.. Several more on day 22 and more on day 23.. This day 24 and the infertile eggs are ripe! I started cleaning them out when I heard chirping!! So I put that back in to see if it'll hatch. It pipped! But it's taking its time.

I have one I had to help but I don't think its gonna make it. Poor lil thing can't walk. It's fighting to live but I don't know if it'll make it. It's just sad watching it struggle. I don't know what to do!

Yay for first hatches! But I am sorry you have to watch the little one struggling. :( They try so hard! Are its little legs not normal?

Back
Top Bottom