Help, broken toe!!

Thechickmama

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 2, 2013
Fort Collins, co
I have a buff Orpington who has a broken toe, or, I think she does. I went out on a road trip last weekend, and I came home to see that all my chickens were fine, except one. She walks on it, sleeps on it, but doesn't scratch the ground with it, she doesn't put all her weight on it, on only some and she limps a little, I will put in a picture in a minuet, I just have to take the picture. PLEASE HELP!!

Could the toe have been crooked before? I probably wouldn't do anything about it. Broken toes will usually heal okay on their own. It would be painful I belive to straighten it and splint it now, and that usually isn't necessary for toes. She will probably be sore for awhile, but it should heal in a couple of weeks, but will heal crooked. Make sure she doesn't have any open wound or scrape on it that may need some betadine.

Ok, she has a little bit of dried blood that wasn't there 2 days ago, but thank you for your help! Her toe wasn't crooked for at the most a month, because I inspect them at the beginning of every month for predator injuries, or pecking wounds ect.

Last edited:
I also have a month old chicken with the same condition. And he seems off balance,so I'm thinking about splitting it, not sure what to do?

My friends chicken had the same issue and he just made a split for his bird it helped her a lot I would recommend doing that

I have another chicken and she can hardly walk, I have had her away from the other chickens and a pen for her outside. she is eating and drinking, can I give her a baby asprin in her water? What happened was I had 2 ginny hens and I saw them picking on her, I got rid of the ginny's, they went to a good home, the guy had 3 others.

Back
Top Bottom