Rooster suddenly aggressive!

Mallory8502

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
My rooster is 1 year old and has always been tame. Virtually overnight he has started attacking me and my husband. I am wondering if it might be because my husband and I did not spend any time around the chickens all winter. It was so cold we would only go out to quickly change food/water or open/close the pop door. Now we are outside more and he is acting like a completely different rooster. Maybe his tiny chicken brain can't remember that we are not a threat?

I wonder if I can do anything to change his behavior or if it is too late. He has been an excellent protector for the flock and has never shown aggression towards the hens. But I am at my wit's end, I feel like he is HUNTING me every time I go outside. Always eyeballing me and I feel like he is trying to sneak up on me when I am doing something. I have been carrying around a rake for protection, this is ridiculous!

To me it sounds almost as if his hormones have really kicked in and he's just trying to protect his flock/territory. There could be more to it but I'm not sure. It may have come to the point where you'll have stand you ground and show him who's boss. If that doesn't work and he keeps attacking, you may have to get rid of him. A mean rooster isn't really worth keeping around IMO.

Edit: the link Chicken Girl1 posted has great info and should help! Good luck!

Last edited:
To me it sounds almost as if his hormones have really kicked in and he's just trying to protect his flock/territory. There could be more to it but I'm not sure. It may have come to the point where you'll have stand you ground and show him who's boss. If that doesn't work and he keeps attacking, you may have to get rid of him. A mean rooster isn't really worth keeping around IMO.
Agreed. I've had three mean roosters and trust me it isn't worth keeping.

x3, let him go... they seldom get better, and can cause painful injuries, they are VERY apt to attack small children. And really there are nice roosters, so why keep a mean one?

MRs K

Just a side note, I am no expert in rooster behavior but I noticed a change in my alpha rooster (I have 2 brothers that are almost 2 years old) and I should mention that they are separated from the hens, they live by themselves in their own coop and yard. Few days ago (it probably has to do with Spring time arriving and mating season starting) my alpha started flogging me in the mornings, he would turn into what I call "little Godzilla" his hormones are all up there in his system (accumulating during the night I guess) he gets all fluffed up and ready to attack me. The interesting thing is that early in the afternoon all this aggression is gone and he turns into his lovely self again when I can go sit next to him and take a nap together. So I don't show up in the morning any more. Cleaning time has changed to afternoons. I don't know if anybody else has seen this behavior before but I find it very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom