She won't leave the coop

OntarioHenGirl

Hatching
Mar 30, 2015
Ontario
Hey, we are here in southern Ontario and we have 4 hens. One of our girls won't leave the coop. The other three will venture but not Lavern. She is the oldest of the four and was laying before we got her (two eggs). I understand why she may not be laying but am concerned she is not getting the necessary exercise. Should we kick her out for an hour or so. The temps are in the plus and here in Ontario the weather is relatively nice. What should I do?

She has been on and off. We have been trying to keep an eye on her. We go out and lift the box to get her to move off as often as possible (as we work)! She was out earlier today for a minute, but that was it! We have golf balls in the nests to encourage laying, and since we put them in she seems to be in the nesting box less. But still seems to be reluctant to come out of the coop???

How old are they and how long have you had them?
Is she eating, drinking, pooping ok?
Inactivity can be a sign of illness.
Have you checked them for external parasites?

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. We have had them for a week and a bit. Picked them up the Saturday before last. We picked them up at an auction house but not in the auction. They are bantams and they are young. They were to have just started laying (true we did get two eggs first two days). I think the cold may have been getting to them, as we did get down to -22c the first few mornings. Highs this week have been +7 and lows of -8c, and the hen I was worried about seems to have made her way out more often. We are very new to chickens and we have been reading as much as we can, but I am sure experience is the gift of knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom