Male lovebird keeps biting me

evelynssister

Hatching
Mar 30, 2015
Hello everyone! I got a hand-raised male peach-faced lovebird about 3 months ago, he came from a friendly home and is about 7 years old. He does have a partner, but she is a different specie, a sun conure, almost twice his size. (That doesn't stop him from being her boss). He can be very cuddly and sweet, an escape artist, and he loves being held in a fist (he is not trapped, he just likes the warmth). Most of the time he is in his partner's cage, and my lovebird can fit through the bars; meaning he spends very little time in a confining cage. He even falls asleep on me. However, despite trying my very best not to react, he bites all the time. A lot of the time it's without warning, and it hurts. I'm pretty sure it's not jealousy because he does it when I'm completely alone, with people, away from his partner or not. Just tonight he bit in a place no girl wants to be bit, and after cuddling for 15 minutes. Does anybody else have this problem and how do you deal with it? Do you think he will he stop?

The best way I deal with biting is through training. Have you target trained him? I also have a chewer as well so chew toys are a must. Plastic straws are a favorite.

Parrots are social by nature, but they must learn the rules of their flocks. In the wild, bratty behavior is not tolerated -- those on the receiving end either leave or reprimand the offender. Watch videos on YouTube of parrots interacting by searching with the word "bickering" and see what I mean. We humans have to modify this to beak-tapping with a finger, paired with a stern "No!", when parrots get a bit rough with their play. Target training is great for providing distractions, but it doesn't really do much as far as teaching social rules.

:)

Hi well i got a lovebird ill add a Photo of him or her don’t know what it if
So here is the story my brother in law got the bird on April on may he left the country for three weeks and i took care of it his name is “colors” and he at first started biting me but it was because he was only familiar with my brother in law but then he got use to me he was really kind lovely and when he went back to my brother in laws and my sisters house well he told me he started to bite him and when i use to got after to there house he always got him out of his cage and was happy he flew to me..
But 2 months ago my brother in law started to go to school and he didnt have time for colors so he told me ill pass it to you because he likes you he bites me everytime and i don’t have the time he needs so i was like ok and i have it now i use to take him out of his cage and he use to be happy but all of a sudden he started biting and i was like noo colors no biting !! And he understanded everytime but two weeks ago i got sick and couldn’t take him out anytime but this week he started to be really mean he looks at me very angry i use to put my finger and he use to do small bites but now he just bites me but really hard and making noises like if he was angry im really scared don’t want to take him out anymore but i want to make something cause i miss him i want to have some fun time like we use to cause hes so lovely but now no please help me i will thanyou so much if you do

Attachments

• 5363E31B-682B-44CD-BEF8-DC19C4102FCA.png
    5363E31B-682B-44CD-BEF8-DC19C4102FCA.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom