Rooster behavior question

Sustained

Songster
6 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Oregon
I have a silkie roo about 7 months old. He's started grabbing at the hens tails and pulling a beak full of feathers out. There doesn't appear to be a cause for it. At least from my point of view it's very sudden and sends the unlucky girl running off squawking. Is this normal? Why is he doing it? Any insight would be great!

If this new behavior began after he was successfully breeding. He is being a bully. If you have a large older hen, put him with her. She will teach him some manners. Probably pull his tail out too.

If this new behavior began after he was successfully breeding. He is being a bully. If you have a large older hen, put him with her. She will teach him some manners. Probably pull his tail out too.
Thank you for the reply. I didn't realize everyone's age may play into it. I've had hens most of my life but this is my first roo :) here's what's happened...

He just started crowing about a month ago. That's when he went from being my sweet little buddy to attacking my feet. He started pulling out tail feathers about 2 weeks ago. I lost all my older girls to a stray dog about the time he started crowing. So he's been in with young pullets. One of which is a little bigger than him but he's pulling her tail feathers out too. I introduced older girls a few days ago and he isn't sure what he's supposed to do with them yet. He is trying though.

Based on that, do you think it's just his age? I've been working on him about attacking me and he's slowly figuring out I'm not a threat but I won't have him abusing the girls.

Attacking roosters can be handled with a spray bottle. Water squirted in the face is a pretty good deterrent. A citrus based all natural air freshener works on really bad roos. But occasionally a soup pot may be in order. I have a totally obnoxious U.K. orp mottled bantam roo that has gone wacko on me a couple of times. He grabbed my hand with his beak and I was pulling him by a foot. But he would not let go of me. I dunked him in the water bucket and that got his attention. I'd kill him if he were not worth so much. He is over 2 years old and a lot of mottled orps don't live past 18 months. His mate is such a sweetheart. She is safe in a coop of silkies. All calm there. If I could get the $100 I paid for them I would sell them in a minute. But everyone wants just the hen.

I had a silkie attack me a couple of times. Then I realized he was trying to mate with my fur topped boots.

But that's not as bad as my mini lion head bunny trying to make Cadbury eggs with a house silkie rooster. Poor rooster thinks the bunny is just snuggling. The bunny is 15 and blind. This behavior started last week. Just as I was trying to figure out what to do about the situation, the rabbit stopped. They have been together since January. The silkie was supposed to be a girl. But not. So I put him with the rabbit till the weather calmed up to a decent temperature. Since he was a house pet, I didn't want to drop him in 30 degree days.

So you have to just get creative with attacking roosters. You may have to take him out of the pen with the pullets until he calms down. I have multiple roosters running loose. This time of year, they go nuts. All Winter they were cuddled up together for warmth. A few warm days and I'm water hosing them to break up fights.

Attacking roosters can be handled with a spray bottle. Water squirted in the face is a pretty good deterrent. A citrus based all natural air freshener works on really bad roos. But occasionally a soup pot may be in order. I have a totally obnoxious U.K. orp mottled bantam roo that has gone wacko on me a couple of times. He grabbed my hand with his beak and I was pulling him by a foot. But he would not let go of me. I dunked him in the water bucket and that got his attention. I'd kill him if he were not worth so much. He is over 2 years old and a lot of mottled orps don't live past 18 months. His mate is such a sweetheart. She is safe in a coop of silkies. All calm there. If I could get the $100 I paid for them I would sell them in a minute. But everyone wants just the hen.

I had a silkie attack me a couple of times. Then I realized he was trying to mate with my fur topped boots.

But that's not as bad as my mini lion head bunny trying to make Cadbury eggs with a house silkie rooster. Poor rooster thinks the bunny is just snuggling. The bunny is 15 and blind. This behavior started last week. Just as I was trying to figure out what to do about the situation, the rabbit stopped. They have been together since January. The silkie was supposed to be a girl. But not. So I put him with the rabbit till the weather calmed up to a decent temperature. Since he was a house pet, I didn't want to drop him in 30 degree days.

So you have to just get creative with attacking roosters. You may have to take him out of the pen with the pullets until he calms down. I have multiple roosters running loose. This time of year, they go nuts. All Winter they were cuddled up together for warmth. A few warm days and I'm water hosing them to break up fights.
Your whole post cracked me up
1f602.png

I did ask about him attacking me on the silkie thread since he is one and I wasn't sure if silkie Roos just tend to go through a temporary hormonal change when they start to hit breeding age. I'm really hoping it's just spring hormones. I wish I had fur topped boots to blame LOL but the ripping out a beak full of feathers thing really concerned me. Hormonal is one thing. Being a bullying beast is a whole different kettle of fish.

Back
Top Bottom