Socializing Baby chickens

Bullyshowgirl

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
Dixon IL
This is probably a silly newbie question but we have been handling our 3 week old Astralorps and Ameracanas daily and they are getting more flighty. I sit by their brooder and talk to them trying to get them used to people and voices. Our week old Buff Orps are really friendly and run to my hand when I'm working in their brooder. Is it just the difference in breeds or am I doing something wrong? :(

You're not doing anything wrong. At this age, all of my chicks seem to be afraid of just about everything, but they get better. Some breeds also seem to be more friendly than others, as you've seen with your Orps. Your Aussies and Ameraucanas may never like to be held, but they'll get better. You could try feeding them some treats by hand rather than picking them up. Give them something super tasty, like chopped greens or mealworms (and grit), and lay your hand on the bottom of their brooder or the coop floor and let them come to you. Eventually they'll start to associate you with food and you'll be the best thing in the world to them. When my chickens see me coming, they all gather at the gate in their run and wait for me. Then I have to do the "chicken yard shuffle" to avoid stepping on them when I'm feeding, watering or collecting eggs.

I'll give the Grits and Greens a try.....Thanks for the suggestion!
thumbsup.gif

At this age their protection instincts start working so coming in from overhead scares the bejeebers out of them. If you can manage to be able to approach them from the side it helps. Mine this year are Brahmas and Easter Eggers and are complete spazoids at almost 4 weeks old. They scream like they are being killed when I pick them up. If you keep at it calmly and try the treats and some time in your lap they will usually calm down and be more ready for interaction.

I guess they probably think I'm a chubby chicken hawk....lol I'll try the side approach. And your right....The screaming from the brooder sounds like I'm having chicken salad for lunch :( Poor little things....I can feel their hearts just a racing. Thanks for the in site from their point of view.....I didn't think about that.

Back
Top Bottom