Cuddly Bantams

RoyalFeathers

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2015
Just a small town in FL
I'll add pictures later, but I mostly just want to talk about my chickens.

So, I have two bantams: an Americana or Leghorn girl, and a red-brown Old English girl, named Shera and Bean, respectively. They're both super friendly, and about 5-6 months old; I've had them since they were a couple days old. They love sitting on my left shoulder, specifically, and basically cramming themselves there, with Bean always pressed against my neck and Shera next to her. They'll usually just sit there and preen, and Shera seems to find it funny that she can hit me in the face with her tail every five seconds. It doesn't hurt or anything, just sort of like someone softly patting you in the face with feathers. She usually stands up, and Bean will usually be sitting.

Speaking of Bean, she also likes being in my lap, and if I put my hand down with her, she'll lay on her side in it and let me rub her belly, and usually shut her eyes and make happy chirps. She also likes to try taking a dust bath in my lap, but I'm pretty sure it's a sign of affection/her being comfortable? Not positive, but she does it a lot- never on the ground, only on my lap. They also both get interested in whatever I'm eating. If I'm eating popcorn, they want some; ice cream? Yep. Literally anything I'm eating, they'll eat. And if I'm eating and they can't get to me, like I'll have them in their cage in the kitchen corner and they see me eating, they start pacing and chirping and staring at me all eagerly. I compare them to small, feathery, winged dogs a lot.

I actually took Bean out to an art festival recently, and just used a leash as a make-shift harness and carried her around on a towel. I think she really enjoyed getting out and about, and the expressions from people was amazing! Some people's mouths dropped, others stopped me to ask what she was, etc. and a lot of people pet her, usually remarking on how soft {and cute} she is. She made lots of happy chirps when people talked to her or pet her, and I think I made this one little kid's day! She did so good for her first time out, and I was really proud of her! I hope to get a couple of those diaper/harness combinations for them so I can take them both out more; maybe even get a pet stroller for the two.

After the art festival, though, I took her to work with me, and she said hi to all the customers and got more pets and cuddles. Everyone loved her, and I think I inspired quite a few to get some bantams! I'll probably take Shera next time I get the chance if I don't get in the harnesses soon, so she can have a turn. She's not as cuddly as Bean is, sometimes, but she's still friendly enough and loves getting her belly/chest rubbed, and just generally being held.

Also, does it mean chickens trust you when you can pick them up and basically hold them any way possible, and they're perfectly fine with it? Because I can hold them both in a hand, and then sometimes flip them over, or just generally carry them around, and they're fine with it.

Apologies for the long ramble, but I rarely get to talk about my birds somewhere. If you read this far, thank you, and have a nice day/night!

This is my bantam cochin Marshmallow. I got her Sunday from a freind who's dad breeds them. She is so fluffy her fluff is about half of her size. She is already tamed and I love to hold her. I hope to let her and my buff brahma rooster Pumpkin raise chicks to see what they would look like.

Thanks
1f60a.png
she really is very sweet. When I was giving her a bath my mom asked if she was okay because she was so submissive.
She is so huggable. In the first picture she is actually standing, I really like that about her. Some cochin bantams just aren't as fluffy, they look like brahmas with rounder tails

I only gave Marshmallow a bath because she had a bunch of poop on her behind and she smelled like my friends farm so my dog was wanting to eat her.
I don't really get frizzles. You have to pet them backwards. :)

Oooh, makes sense. I gave my old silkies a bath before, and they loved it! But yeah, I've had many frizzles over the years. I even had a little red rooster who would lay on his back and get belly rubs!
big_smile.png

This is Pumpkin and some chicks we ordered from a hatchery. He is so sweet. I can pick him up and he will just sit there and cluck. Doesn't matter if I tip him side to side, he trusts me. None of my chickens have ever rolled over to have their belly rubbed

Back
Top Bottom