Re-homing a Roo is hard

chesapeake

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 14, 2014
Chesapeake City, MD

When I first started my mixed flock last July I ordered 14 birds, including two roosters, with an eye to possibly having a broody hatch a few down the road. What I got was three roosters (surprise!) and I naively thought that maybe it'd be ok. Of the three the Welsummer is the alpha and the smaller Blue Copper marans is placid and agreeable. Big Blue, the larger marans, was not. He wanted to be the alpha, hounding the hens and challenging the welsummer. I gave it time, then more time and all the time the poor hens were feeling like they had to watch their own backs and Big Blue kept getting his butt kicked by my welsummer. It was bad all around. The hens were looking ragged and Blue was too. The worst of it is that Blue is a good rooster. He wanted to do a good job, he could do a good job, but the welsummer was the dominant bird. Big Blue has a great personality, he's alert and protective of the hens, and he's actually pretty friendly to the family. So...in the end I found him a new home. He has moved near a friend of mine who says he'll look in on him, but I feel terrible. Oh, I know I did the right thing. My flock is happier; the drama has stopped. I am hopeful Blue will be happier too. But I can't help but feel I've let him down.
I hardly ever post. I read, but I'm a shy type and I don't post, so I suppose this is my penance, a testimony to a bird whose only fault was to try to be a good rooster and yet have that be what caused him to wake up this morning in a strange place, with strange hens.
I guess I also wanted to share the sadness that probably many of us feel when we lose a bird, for whatever reason. Thanks for listening.

Well,I hope you read this, because you did the right thing, and Blue will be fine. He will have his own hens maybe, and a whole lot less stress. And your other birds will be happier too. I hate rehoming, we've rehomed 17 roos, and of those, I only know of one that is very loved, I gave him to a friend, and she treats him like a pet. And he has a hen. The rest of them, I hope they ended up in good homes, but I don't know really. We have two right now looking for new homes. But It's very difficult to find homes for roosters. Everybody either has one, or doesn't want one. You and Blue were lucky. We are trying to get our heads around processing. No easy task.

I think it might help you to consider the tension in the flock. It makes all the birds upset, not just the ones fighting. There are two major problem causing scenarios in chickens
  • Too many birds for the space
  • too many roosters

As your flock calms down, gets along and is peaceful, I am hoping you will feel better about the situation. A miserable animal can really destroy the enjoyment of having the flock.

MRs K

Back
Top Bottom