Hen Sings Egg Song But No Egg

Pressman

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
East-Central Idaho
Hello BYC,
I have six Golden Laced Wyandottes and know that all six are laying. They are 11 months old and doing wonderfully well,
but several times now one of them goes into the nest, stays awhile, comes out singing the egg song - but there's no egg!!!
Should I be worried? I always go out when I hear the egg song to get my egg, it's so much fun. Disappointing when I hear
the egg song and there's no egg. Just wondered if this is normal or if there is an issue I am not aware of. This is my first year
with chickens. Any ideas?

My Orpington does the same thing, it's like she's letting everyone know she tried. Two of my golden comets also do it when they notice a change (new birds, new feeder, etc).

I have a hen who will sing if any of the others are trying to lay an egg/or in the nesting box that she wants. I guess she wants all the credit. In her defense, she is over 3 now and still lays about 4 eggs/ week. I guess she doesn't want me to know when she is having an off-day.

LOL - Well this is the same hen who notified the neighborhood when one of the other hens was getting to lay my first egg! But today she was in two different nest boxes, for quite some time, then came out with her egg song, but no egg. Maybe you're right, she wanted to let me know she tried!!! Thanks.

We've had a few hens sing the song without an egg on occasion. We even have one hen that will sing the egg song while others are laying their eggs. It's pretty funny.

Also, if you're new to chickens, know that there are different songs. At first, they can all sound like the same song, just a bunch of cackling. The two main ones I can recognize so far are "i just laid an egg" and "there's danger nearby".

So far there's the egg song, the danger brrrrrrrawk, and then the little chatter they do when I am out there with them. Boy do they have sharp eyes! When I hear the danger one I go running too. Though there's nothing that can get to them, I still like to check. It's usually the neighbor cat.

We've had a few hens sing the song without an egg on occasion. We even have one hen that will sing the egg song while others are laying their eggs. It's pretty funny.

Also, if you're new to chickens, know that there are different songs. At first, they can all sound like the same song, just a bunch of cackling. The two main ones I can recognize so far are "i just laid an egg" and "there's danger nearby".
I canna tell the difference between these. SHM

Back
Top Bottom