Organic quail feed

mickeyminnie

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 1, 2015
I am starting to use organic quail feed by Coyote Creek. How do I increase protein levels. This food is stated as 28%. If I need to will growing earth worms and adding in sprouted alfalfa seeds be a good idea. I am looking at eggs too, but so far the birds have not been excited about them.
smile.png

Hi, I'm looking for ways to feed my Coturnix Quails Organically and from what I have read on this Forum and other research done online, the best way is to add insects, eggs, fruits and sprouts. Alfalfa has 35% protein, so that is a good one. My quails are about to be three weeks old and I will be taking them outside this weekend and plan on starting to feed them these things. I'm already sprouting Chia and Quinoa, just because that is what I had organic in my pantry. I have not found an organic feed in my area though, so that's a little harder for me to be 100% organic.

Good luck and I hope to hear updates on what other options you found.

28% is plenty.

Those diets would require you to feed digestive grit alongside them, crumble is water soluble, greens and such are not.

Yes!! I forgot to mention that. I'm so glad you did. They definitely need grit to avoid any problems. I started giving my quails grit, but only when I feed them sprout (which I just started). My quail pen is on the ground and I notice that they like to peck the dirty and their dust pile tub which is a mixture of play sand and DE. So I'm guessing they are also getting some grit from the dirt and stuff. Just a guess. I'm still learning
caf.gif

I found what looks like the perfect solution online. Its organic, non-GMO, soy free and not outlandishly expensive at $40 for 20 pounds shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NJ..._1_1?colid=EF69SE0K9U92&coliid=I2S2GRBLL5KJW8
Hope the link works. Has anyone tried this brand?
It's slightly concerning the way the word the last line of their statement.

"Our tests have shown no GMO detected in the grain we use in our feed"

That doesn't sound like they're very sure it's GMO free. It's sound a lot like an open ended declaration to free them of litigation should GMOs be discovered in their food.

Back
Top Bottom