HELP Sick Guinea Hen, very lethargic & fever

rubyredder

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 15, 2014
Ohio
I've noticed my guinea hen getting lethargic and being a loner over the past few days. I treated the entire flock with wazine in the water for worms just in case. She hasn't improved. She's been attempting to stay with the flock but has to lie down and rest while the others forage and looks pitiful. She also didn't give much of a fight when I caught her in the pasture, which isn't normal, because my guineas are on look but don't touch basis with me.

My hen is almost 4 years old. There's not egg in her vent, her abdomen is soft and breath sounds are clear (I'm a nurse... can't help it.) The only thing I can see is she feels like absolute crap and I have her sitting on my lap as I type this and it feels like she's burning up. I've got Duramycin, Tylan 50 and Gallimycin on hand if I need antibiotics. I live in the middle of nowhere so a vet is not an option. I might just start her on IM Tylan for the time being.

Please help. This was one of my original guineas when I started raising them! I'm quite attached to her and so is her male mate. Thanks!

I don't know what she has but I would try everything. Stess can make it worse so
I would put her in a nice size box and cover the box with a blanket this helps with the stress and I would also keep her warm then once she is warm I would try to offer food. I hope she gets better!!

Last edited:
Thanks! I've got her separated with a heat lamp, gave her some Tylan and she has water with electrolytes. I'm considering giving her some Valabazen but I'm not sure it's worms at this point....

Hi,

did you ever figure it out? please let me know!

I got one death and now another lethargic with fever - that's how the other hen started - and here, too: the mate and I are attached to this hen!

please help if you can!

Back
Top Bottom