CARE OF NEWBORN GUINEA KEETS

chickbird

Songster
May 4, 2009
IN THE 101 I DID NOT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT CARE OF THE KEETS FOR THE FIRST FEW DAYS, CAN SOME OF YOU WITH EXPERIENCE GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE IN THIS, THANKS

IN THE 101 I DID NOT SEE ANYTHING ABOUT CARE OF THE KEETS FOR THE FIRST FEW DAYS, CAN SOME OF YOU WITH EXPERIENCE GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE IN THIS, THANKS

It's been years since I had Guineas. When I did, I got them with my chicken chicks, raised them together, fed them the same way. I don't know if it was optimal but it seemed to work fine.
smile.png

For the first few days the temperature measured at the bedding level should be 90° to 95°F in one specific area. There should be areas of cooler temperatures so that the keets can freely move to and from the heated area as they desire. The temperature can be lowered by 5°F each week until it reaches the ambient temperature and the keets are fully feathered.

Do not use wood chips as bedding for the keets for at least the first several weeks as they will eat the bedding and become impacted. Making chick grit available will help alleviate problems. I personally use sand for bedding while others use paper towels. Make sure that the keets are not kept on a slick surface.

Keets need a good quality turkey or game bird starter that has a protein content of 28% to 30%. If medicated starter is available it is okay to use for the keets as long as the protein content is high enough. It is okay to add electrolytes to their water. At the start it is advisable to be sure their water is warm and not cold. It is recommended to place marbles or small stones in the water container to keep the keets from falling into the water container and getting soaked or drowning.

When introducing the keets to the brooder, gently dip each keets beak into the water.

Feed should be lightly scattered over the bedding as well as being available in feeders.

Good luck.

Last edited:
When should keets start drinking? This morning I brought home keets that were hatched last night, and they have not yet shown interest in their food, water or gro gel. I figure that since keets can be shipped, they must be able to go at least a day without drinking... unless the brooder heat dehydrates them..?

They're finally showing interest in their gro gel,though mostly interest in standing in it, and one of them has gotten the hang of pecking up crumbles.

Hello All we are new to raising Guineas and have a batch that is about 3 weeks old and a new second batch we got today that are about a week old, My question is can we put the new week old chicks in with the bigger 3 week old chicks? with chickens the bigger chicks will beat and peck the smaller chicks and sometimes kill them , is it the same wit Guineas or is it safe to mix them.

Guineas will definitely pick on the weakest. I have a guinea who was half blinded and nearly killed as a keet. She had to be kept apart for a year until I got ducklings who took her place as weakest.

Back
Top Bottom