Online course on Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Week 1 has a total of about 25 minutes of videos and Week 2 has a total of about 35 minutes; none are over 5 minutes each. The course presents 5 weeks of content over 6 weeks, so there is a lot of time to catch up. They had an operant conditioning exercise to do with chickens in Week 1. That was a lot of fun! We really enjoyed it and I hope there will be more of those in the coming weeks.

There isn't any required reading. They've suggested a couple of journal articles to read each week so far and if a textbook is desired, they recommend one by M.C. Appleby, J.A. Mench and B.O. Hughes: Poultry Behaviour and Welfare (CABI, 2004). It's an excellent text! I really like books, so it was certainly worth the cost to me and not nearly as expensive as textbooks can be. I bought mine on Amazon.

Here is the link to the course: Chicken Behaviour and Welfare

Last edited:
I seriously considered this course, but I'd have to find somewhere to download the videos. I live far enough out of town that I can browse the web no problem, but I have a strict data cap on my internet and videos eat it up quick.
sad.png
I might look into that book that @lovemy6hens recommended though. I really would like to expand my poultry knowledge in order to cross the bridge from "cool, I've got some chickens for my own eggs" to true hobby farmer.

I seriously considered this course, but I'd have to find somewhere to download the videos. I live far enough out of town that I can browse the web no problem, but I have a strict data cap on my internet and videos eat it up quick. :(  I might look into that book that @lovemy6hens
 recommended though. I really would like to expand my poultry knowledge in order to cross the bridge from "cool, I've got some chickens for my own eggs" to true hobby farmer.

I just signed up to take the course beginning 11/14 and I began watching the introductory videos- below each video they post the transcript of it. So while you may not be able to watch the images, you could at least read what the audio would be saying.

The course is free but if you would like to receive a certificate of completion, there's a $49 fee that you can pay at any time.

(Edited because I put the wrong date)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom