shipping day old chicks

lacymorgan

Songster
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
Kingman AZ
I have a couple of questions I have not found an answer to yet reading other post.

To ship day old chicks I know there is a gelitan strip that came with some chicks I ordered was wondering what it was and where to get it. I suspect this is for them to peck at to eat or keep moisture along with the yolk sac.

Another question is when eggs are hatching they can hatch 1 to 3 days apart from each other. So if 10 chicks hatch and it takes two days up to three days for them all to hatch are the chicks that are 1 to 2 days old the only ones I can ship since it is past day one?

Thank you for any help with this or tips on what you do to ship chicks

You do not need to include feed and water in the shipping box. Many people do but its actually illegal or against USPS code to put feed in there. Clearly they dont open the box and check but its not needed. We ship thousands a year and never include anything. They are only without feed and water for one full day in shipping even if it takes two days so they dont need it.

You do not need to include feed and water in the shipping box. Many people do but its actually illegal or against USPS code to put feed in there. Clearly they dont open the box and check but its not needed. We ship thousands a year and never include anything. They are only without feed and water for one full day in shipping even if it takes two days so they dont need it.
it was recomended to add growgel when shipping chicks that were over a day old like 1 to 3 weeks old

No you dont need to do do that. Its actually in violation of the USPS as I said. But its not needed. Think of it like this if a bird is shipped and takes 2 days. You ship on lets say Monday, the bird had food and water most of the day assuming you ship in the afternoon. If they get their the next day on Tuesday they just didnt have food that night. If they get their on Wednesday which is most likely then they get food and water right away making the only full day without food and water Tuesday. Sorry goofy explanation but any animal is fine with no food and water for one day. Temps is what kills chicks in shipping not lack of food and water for one day.

Not trying to hack your post! But I feel as though it kind of goes along with your questions! Is it very risky having chicks shipped during the summer months?

Not trying to hack your post! But I feel as though it kind of goes along with your questions! Is it very risky having chicks shipped during the summer months?
That is an important question. and I would like to get some shipping suggestions for summer shipping too

Back
Top Bottom