Malpractice suit against a veterinarian?

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
Has anyone pursued a malpractice lawsuit against a veterinarian before? We have a very good case against a local vet that caused the unnecessary death of a perfectly healthy female German Shepherd of ours. Negligence has been validated by a necropsy done at the University of Illinois and the sad fact of the dogs death is,she should have been saved if properly observed after the operation. We are awaiting the final necropsy report to come to us in about another week,but the preliminary report we got 2 days ago clearly shows the operating veterinarian was totally at fault in this loss. Anyone ever sue for damages and loss and come out on top?

Last edited:
I've never had an experience like that, but I just wanted to post and say that I am really sorry that you have had to endure the loss of your beloved pet.

My heart goes out to you, and I wish you peace and healing.
hugs.gif

- Krista

Most practices and Veterinarians carry insurance so I think you will be able to get compensated for your loss as it sounds as though there is proof of negligence. Sorry for your loss.

Well we are going to find out just how good her malpractice insurance really is. The lies she told us and just expected us to accept her word as gospel and leave it at that isn't going to happen. I think too many people just accept and move on when they know very little about certain things when they are told things by those that are supposed to be experts in the field. Second opinions these days should be a part of the complete process.

This veterinarian now has until Wednesday May 13th to reach an agreement with our lawyer for damages and loss,or a court date will be set. This mistake she made will not be swept under the rug as she has done with other people in the past. So many things and details of what she told us,vs what the real cause of death was makes us sick to think anyone else would trust her to even feed a dog,let alone operate on one.

Looks like you got all your ducks in a row with strong evidence and proof. I hope you will win your case and the vet will have to admit the mistakes.

So sorry about your GSD, they are awesome breed to train and own! I had one I bought from a champion breeder in Springfield, IL. Not sure if she still raises them. Trotswood Kennels was the name.

Back
Top Bottom