Hatching dilemma

farmerJonBrown

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2015
Macon Ga
If my wife didn't think I was insane before after last night she totally does. I am new to hatching and I currently on day 13 for my Jumbo Coturnix quail and I currently I have 21 viable eggs in my incubator with an automatic turner. Yesterday I went to an animal auction with a buddy of mine just to see what it was like. Well long story short I came home with 90 pharaoh eggs for $5 and this starts my dilemma. I only have 1 incubator with 1 egg turner. I am worried because I do not know how old these eggs already are and I am worried about waiting another week to get these eggs just sitting around until like Friday. Did i just screw up and kill a ton of quail?
The other issue I am worried about is the fact that these eggs are in regular sized egg cartons and are therefore laying down and not standing up like they are in my egg turner. Is this a problem?
Should I just stop worrying about this so much?
I am sure after a round or two of hatching things will be much less stressful
Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,
FarmerJonBrown

Yea after you get two or three hatches under your belt it will come to be just fine when you see that with eggs

If my wife didn't think I was insane before after last night she totally does. I am new to hatching and I currently on day 13 for my Jumbo Coturnix quail and I currently I have 21 viable eggs in my incubator with an automatic turner. Yesterday I went to an animal auction with a buddy of mine just to see what it was like. Well long story short I came home with 90 pharaoh eggs for $5 and this starts my dilemma. I only have 1 incubator with 1 egg turner. I am worried because I do not know how old these eggs already are and I am worried about waiting another week to get these eggs just sitting around until like Friday. Did i just screw up and kill a ton of quail?
The other issue I am worried about is the fact that these eggs are in regular sized egg cartons and are therefore laying down and not standing up like they are in my egg turner. Is this a problem?
Should I just stop worrying about this so much?
I am sure after a round or two of hatching things will be much less stressful
Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks,
FarmerJonBrown

About the wife or the eggs? You could get rid of the wife and buy more eggs!
lau.gif

You may have PTESS, Pre traumatic egg stress syndrome..or a similar poultry addiction.....relax.

I have had eggs last up to 20 or more days, just give them a turn over every now and then and keep them cool, around 65 degrees should do it until your incubator is ready for a new batch. Your success rate may go down a bit, but I bet some will hatch if they are fresh right now. That is conditional according to how well they were handled before you bought them and if they are fertile.

Do this only once per day until you are ready!
You don't want the eggs to dry out while waiting, but you don't want them moist all day long either.
Place a dry paper towel over the eggs, then Dampen a towel or cloth (not saturated or dripping wet, just damp)..... now cover the container and check once per day. If the towel is dry, dampen it again tomorrow. Dont let the wet towel touch the eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom