Sneezing in goslings do they get sick like chickens

laylabulldog12

Hatching
Apr 12, 2015
Hello & Ty for the add can anyone tell me if goslings sneeze & if it's normal . Do they get any kind of stuff bad like chickens do that would make them sick .thanks for any input

Last edited:
Hello & Ty for the add can anyone tell me if goslings sneeze & if it's normal . Do they get any kind of stuff bad like chickens do that would make them sick .thanks for any input
Sure they can get sick but geese are hardier than chickens when it comes to disease. When goslings a few things can make them sneeze. dusty food & dusty bedding come to mind. They need to have a good source of heat but not hot they need to be able to wash out their nares at all times they can actually get feed stuck in them if they can't wash them out. And they need dry bedding wet bedding can cause mold to grow pretty fast especially in heat. nares draining mucus or eyes matted and draining means illness.

Welcome to BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings

Last edited:
I think they have a cold or smoke thing from the water I have been letting them play in the water & now they are weezing like they got sick . They are about 2 weeks old now , or less I change bedding everyday as they are playing so much in the water bowl & soaking it . I have them under a 250 watt bulb for heat . Can u give them antibiotics for the cold ?

I think they have a cold or smoke thing from the water I have been letting them play in the water & now they are weezing like they got sick . They are about 2 weeks old now , or less I change bedding everyday as they are playing so much in the water bowl & soaking it . I have them under a 250 watt bulb for heat . Can u give them antibiotics for the cold ?
You can, is there anyway they can see a vet? it's always best if possible. Poultry don't really get "colds" they can get respiratory infections which can be fatal if not treated. Also sinus infections do you see any drainage from nares[nostrils] or eyes matted?

Last edited:
hello.....I see you appear to know a lot about waterfowl.....I have a 9 day old Toulouse gosling....I have been raising chickens for 20 years and recently wanted a couple geese. I incubated 6 eggs from mail.....( will never do that again)...only one egg hatched.one goslings has appeared to be in good health but show signs of things I have never seen in chickens....a slight snapping noise on occasion and what sounds like a hard swift blow of air...like a snort.....and on one occasion a bit of baby chick food liq came out of his mouth with a swift flick of his head....

is this all normal....I have to wait to go shopping in Spokane on the first to acquire more info on geese...as I have 3 more coming to be his companions....on Friday......is all I described as normal or is there something wrong with my 9 day of gosling...
he is active,...eating and drinking......

thanks for any answers.....I am on a mountain top......with no one around who have geese.,....jean

hello.....I see you appear to know a lot about waterfowl.....I have a 9 day old Toulouse gosling....I have been raising chickens for 20 years and recently wanted a couple geese. I incubated 6 eggs from mail.....( will never do that again)...only one egg hatched.one goslings has appeared to be in good health but show signs of things I have never seen in chickens....a slight snapping noise on occasion and what sounds like a hard swift blow of air...like a snort.....and on one occasion a bit of baby chick food liq came out of his mouth with a swift flick of his head....

is this all normal....I have to wait to go shopping in Spokane on the first to acquire more info on geese...as I have 3 more coming to be his companions....on Friday......is all I described as normal or is there something wrong with my 9 day of gosling...
he is active,...eating and drinking......

thanks for any answers.....I am on a mountain top......with no one around who have geese.,....jean
Welcome to BYC

I don't recognize the symptoms other than the flicking of the bill and food flying out that is very common. always make sure they have plenty of water when eating and a way to wash their nares and eyes out. I'd also pick up some Brewers yeast and sprinkle a tab to a cup of feed till your goslings are at least 10 weeks old since chick feed doesn't have the amount of niacin water fowl need and it's very important for leg health and to keep them from having neurological problems. You'll also need to introduce your new gosling to this one very slowly because your 9 day old maybe get to rough if the ones coming friday are new hatch lings. so separate brooders to start with or a large one with some way for new goslings and older one can see each other and hopefully before the week is over they will all be best buds.If eating and active probably nothing to worry about. But again the deeper water er so the goslings can clean out their nares and eyes is very important.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings

Last edited:
Sure they can get sick but geese are hardier than chickens when it comes to disease. When goslings a few things can make them sneeze. dusty food & dusty bedding come to mind. They need to have a good source of heat but not hot they need to be able to wash out their nares at all times they can actually get feed stuck in them if they can't wash them out. And they need dry bedding wet bedding can cause mold to grow pretty fast especially in heat. nares draining mucus or eyes matted and draining means illness.

Welcome to BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-and-caring-for-goslings
Hi, I have a question about my geese, they keep sneezing and the other day it had some snot from its mouth and nose. I haven’t seen the snot in a few days but they are sneezing

Back
Top Bottom