Help baby ducklings

rkeele

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2015
Oregon
New to hatching
Ducklings only between 12-29 hours old
Turning water in water dish green after they put their feet in water. Is this normal ? I also noticed they were putting green spots on other eggs in incubator .
When googled the only thing that came up was unsanitary brooder. First time I noticed the water they hadn't even pooped in brooder yet and it was fresh and clean to start when I placed them in there.
Is this a problem? Should I give them a little bath? What's to early for letting them in water? I know away from momma they don't have the waterproofing oils , so I would have to make sure I dried them,
I just don't want them making themselves sick drinking water they have turned green

Their poop is green because they haven't had anything to eat other than what they absorbed through the yolk. Once they start eating crumble regularly their poop will turn brownish. You should use a chick waterer that they can dunk their bills into but don't let them stand in the water. Put it up on a platform that's about an inch or 2 high that way they can reach the water but not stand in it. That will keep the water cleaner. You still have to change the water every day or sometimes twice a day because the ducklings will take a mouth of food then run to the water and take a mouth of water to wash down the food and then food ends up in the water. In a warm brooder this can lead to nasty moldy slimy water.

As for baths, I let mine play in a warm bath tub when they were 3 days old. I just made sure I watched them and only let them play for 10-15 min. If they looked like they were sinking or having any swimming issues I took them out. I then dried them with a towel and then put them in the brooder where I then used a hair dryer to finish drying them. They will really like it once they get used to the air. Just becareful not to burn them. Keep your hand near the ducklings so you can tell how warm the air is. I'd also keep it on low because on high it can blow the ducklings over.

Their poop is green because they haven't had anything to eat other than what they absorbed through the yolk. Once they start eating crumble regularly their poop will turn brownish.  You should use a chick waterer that they can dunk their bills into but don't let them stand in the water. Put it up on a platform that's about an inch or 2 high that way they can reach the water but not stand in it. That will keep the water cleaner. You still have to change the water every day or sometimes twice a day because the ducklings will take a mouth of food then run to the water and take a mouth of water to wash down the food and then food ends up in the water. In a warm brooder this can lead to nasty moldy slimy water.

As for baths, I let mine play in a warm bath tub when they were 3 days old. I just made sure I watched them and only let them play for 10-15 min. If they looked like they were sinking or having any swimming issues I took them out. I then dried them with a towel and then put them in the brooder where I then used a hair dryer to finish drying them. They will really like it once they get used to the air. Just becareful not to burn them. Keep your hand near the ducklings so you can tell how warm the air is. I'd also keep it on low because on high it can blow the ducklings over.

Thanks for the advice,
Tried to put edge of water container up higher but that didn't help , the little turds just climbed in and making more of the water mess, is their a chic waterer that they can put their beak in but not climb into ? All I have seen are the ones that are more like the cat/dog ones , but I haven't been to to many places looking for what I was wanting.

When mine were younger than 3 weeks I used this

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-...&qid=1429217586&sr=8-2&keywords=chick+waterer

I put it up on a half brick I had to raise it up so they could dip their beaks but not climb in it.

At week three I had to get more creative so I got a 5 quart horse feed pan and a milk jug to create a waterer that they couldn't get into.

So I cut a hole in the milk jug I fill the quart pan with water then I fill the milk jug with water and put the milk jug in the pan of water. As the ducks drink the water the milk jug lets more water into the pan. The milk jug keeps them from climbing in the pan to play in the water.

After I used this set up I realized that the ducks were splashing water EVERYWHERE so I got a front opening rubber maid container and put the water pan and milk jug inside that and put shelf liner on the plastic front door so it acted like a non slip ramp.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IA8O172/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

When mine were younger than 3 weeks I used this http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-1-Gallon-Plastic-Complete/dp/B00CLDZ5OA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429217586&sr=8-2&keywords=chick+waterer I put it up on a half brick I had to raise it up so they could dip their beaks but not climb in it. At week three I had to get more creative so I got a 5 quart horse feed pan and a milk jug to create a waterer that they couldn't get into. So I cut a hole in the milk jug I fill the quart pan with water then I fill the milk jug with water and put the milk jug in the pan of water. As the ducks drink the water the milk jug lets more water into the pan. The milk jug keeps them from climbing in the pan to play in the water. After I used this set up I realized that the ducks were splashing water EVERYWHERE so I got a front opening rubber maid container and put the water pan and milk jug inside that and put shelf liner on the plastic front door so it acted like a non slip ramp. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IA8O172/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Thank you so very much After seeing what you did it totally got my mind going of what I could use. What I have them in right now isn't big enough for a milk jug , but a 20oz juice bottle works great . They are only able to get their bill in the water , they are still making a little water mess but it is contained to the corner where I have the water now instead of all over the place .

Back
Top Bottom